Pastry - Marble Rolling Pins

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

J-G

Established Member
Reaction score
I have a wooden one, a glass one and a marble one. The wooden one's used, the other two aren't. :)
I agree. Marble rolling pins are for the aesthetically aware And laminated dough enthusiasts. They are really only good as a show piece and making puff pastry, as you can cool the marble first. And they are really heavy, and if you drop on ceramic floor or marble countertop, they just got more expensive!
Moved from "Jacob's chuck draw bar".

I've never made 'Puff', 'Filo' or any 'Laminated' dough - I've limited my creations to Shortcrust, Pâte Sucrée and Hot Water Crust - the later only for Christmas Pork Pies of course.

I have a solid marble worktop (not quite 'Carrara' but good) and a grey Marble 'Pin'. Far from being a 'Show Piece', my marble pin is the only one I use, which is 2 to 3 times per month and no one has ever watched me. Mother was known for her pastry & two sisters are equally able but I'm told by the most able of them that my efforts surpass all.

Whether or not I would achieve the same level with a solid Beech or 'French' pin is debatable, and I certainly would never drop it :eek:

Going through catering college in the 80s every pastry prep room had a glass rolling pin with a stopper. They were meant to be filled with ice and water when doing laminated pastries but never got used due to the chef's dire threats if what would happen to us if we damaged one.
One of our chef tutors was ex army so the threats were highly inventive and thoroughly believable

Back