Our take on karelian birch

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pedder

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi ,

Pekka and Klaus had a little race, who will finish a handle of karelian birch first. After Pekka showed his saw, you might like to see the Two Lawyers edition.

P1020047%2Bklein.jpg

Pekka sent us a piece of Karelian Birch. We've never seen this wood before so Klaus was more than curious how it works
P1020044%2Bklein.jpg

Pekka gave us a few important hints to work with the wood and I think it worked out quite well.
P1020039%2Bklein.jpg

Due to the fact that this amazing wood doesn't show a consistent grain direction, Klaus changed our usual handle design slightly. The transition between cheeks and grip is slightly thicker as the horns are, too.
P1020050%2Bklein.jpg

It´s a 9" saw filed to 18 TPI rip in our high rnd design with oval spine.

Thanks for looking.

Cheers Pedder

Lovely work Pedder. I'll be ordering another beauty from you soon !

Cheers

Karl

That's a complete waste of effort - no saw needs to be that beautiful to work perfectly well enough for all practical purposes.

bender-applause.jpg

BugBear

Lovely! My local lumber yard (10 minutes by bicycle) always has a few pieces of Karelian birch, also known as Masur birch, in stock. I have a nice little plank sitting in a drawer reserved for a puukko handle, I must get around to doing something with it.

...And the saw arrived just today. I did not have the time for more than a test cut or two, but it performs beautifully and the finish on the saw is brilliant.

More pics and a few test cuts hopefully tomorrow, now it's time to get some sleep...

Thank you!

Pekka

I'll be glad when this post drops of my list - every time I read the subject, I get the Karelia Suite (aka the This Week theme) running through my head for ages!

BugBear

I've been travelling for most of the past two weeks, but finally I had some workshop time for the photographs.

In fact I have had an urge for a good back saw for quite a while. I wanted to build my own, and at the same time to have the best saw I could get. I imagined that they would not be the same saw :D

Initially I ordered the saw from these two gentlemen, thinking that I never could slap together a decent hand saw. And when I started ordering and spesifying the saw I realised that I must build my own while they are working at theirs, otherwise I never would build another saw to compete with theirs.

I am euphoric about both of the saws. My saw filing is not what it should be: the saw starts easily, cuts easily (and fast) and the kerf looks like a banana no matter what the heck I do with it :p I'm just not in the mood for re-setting it, which should do the trick. Otherwise it cuts well, and I did file it a tiny bit of fleam to the teeth to aid for rip cutting, and regardless of the poor setting, it works relatively well on cross-cuts.

Pedder's toothing is brilliant and it cuts like a dream. The handles are different: mine looks huge compared to the other one, but it fits every curve of my palm. The handle of Two Lawyer's saw felt a bit too small to my hand at the first try, but on the other hand I start to realise that a dovetail saw handle probably should not be as big as I built....

Now if I could just get some time for using them as well... :roll: :wink:

Pekka

Attachments

• kakssahaa.jpg
    kakssahaa.jpg
    75.3 KB · Views: 800

Latest posts

Back