Osmo oil shelf life

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Joe Shmoe

Established Member
Reaction score
I have an unopened Osmo Oil tin that I purchased and didn't use about 5/6 years ago.

Do you think it's OK to use?

At this time of years it takes weeks to set / polymise, so don’t get too worried if after a week it’s still sticky! I did a gate about 3 weeks ago, it’s inside, but still a bit tack, it will set, just takes ages. You really shouldn’t use it unless it’s warmish and lots of sunshine.

I'm a new convert to the stuff and thought it says 5 years shelf life unopened, so it should be OK.
I recently finished off a tin that had been opened over 6 months ago. It had thickened slightly but a spot of white spirit soon helped loosen it up and was good to apply in a warm indoors situation. It does seem to last longer than Danish Oil.

Colin

Last edited:
At this time of years it takes weeks to set / polymise, so don’t get too worried if after a week it’s still sticky! I did a gate about 3 weeks ago, it’s inside, but still a bit tack, it will set, just takes ages. You really shouldn’t use it unless it’s warmish and lots of sunshine.
I shouldn't try to redo the living room floor to pimp the house up before Christmas then :)

I've had half-full tins left over still in good condition a year or so later.

I’ve used tins that were opened and stored for over 8 years without issue: only on my own stuff. But kept so they didn’t freeze.

Back