Moving house - please critique my plan

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Worth checking out the blogs here https://www.fantastic-removals.co.uk/blog/ there is plenty of good advice regarding all aspects of your move :)

Also go to Poundland and buy rolls of clingfilm, use it to wrap drawers, keep cabinet doors closed, hold garden tools together plus many other uses, doesn't leave any residue when removed.

Good luck

Lots of good advice Roger, good luck with the move. Are you moving to where I think you are?

And... can you PLEASE stop spreading false rumours that Northumberland is a beautiful place to come, we've been trying to keep that a secret for hundreds of years.

For the record - winter lasts 11 months with temps down to minus 50 deg C though it can reach the dizzy heights of 5 deg in summer. The "natives" are decidedly unfriendly and likely to slit soft southerners throats in the middle of the night which btw lasts 23 hours in winter. Food is still rationed to bread and dripping and you have to go to the privy at the bottom of the garden for your ablutions but do have the luxury of torn up newspaper for the bog. :wink: :lol:

Bob

Lons":v9na9coj said:
Lots of good advice Roger, good luck with the move. Are you moving to where I think you are?

And... can you PLEASE stop spreading false rumours that Northumberland is a beautiful place to come, we've been trying to keep that a secret for hundreds of years.

For the record - winter lasts 11 months with temps down to minus 50 deg C though it can reach the dizzy heights of 5 deg in summer. The "natives" are decidedly unfriendly and likely to slit soft southerners throats in the middle of the night which btw lasts 23 hours in winter. Food is still rationed to bread and dripping and you have to go to the privy at the bottom of the garden for your ablutions but do have the luxury of torn up newspaper for the bog. :wink: :lol:

Bob

But at least I'll be the only resident without webbed feet :D

Yes..it is.

sunnybob":226c3xa8 said:
2 things,
1/ The north is NOT sunnier than the south. Trust me.

2/ start day 1 two days early, you always under estimate the time involved in packing up for moving.

Agree with starting the packing up earlier than planned.

Agree with not trusting the Estate agents, Solicitors etc. I take it that you can't get removal hire and all that back if there is a problem on the day?

Are you moving up North to be closer to friends / family? Is there no one up there who can help you out by being at the house on the moving day or can help out in some way?

If you don't have much furniture - do you need to go up early and clean the whole house? If outdoors is the problem - then that needs to be dealt with.

If trip is long - do you have any contacts / businesses / family who are halfway who could store anything for you? Take it to them on a quiet day and leave in their garden / garage. Collect a couple of weeks later on a quiet day.

I'm not sure if any of this helps - but it is such a stressful thing. Look after your wife. Are you sure being a long distance apart on the day is a good idea?

Anyway - good luck. Hope everything does run smoothly on the big day.

Martin

Lons":2l76x384 said:

Bob

FINALLY! A northerner who speaks with straight tongue!

And I know wherof I speak, the very vast majority of ex-pats I know come from above Brum, and they mostly still have chillblain scars..

Lons":2yyd8j34 said:

Bob

And the folks from the Scottish Borders come and steal your sheep and cattle and burn your house down on a regular basis.

Now where did I park my horse. :lol:

Seriously hope the move goes well and welcome to the North.

sunnybob":2io0uinm said:
Lons":2io0uinm said:

Bob

FINALLY! A northerner who speaks with straight tongue!

And I know wherof I speak, the very vast majority of ex-pats I know come from above Brum, and they mostly still have chillblain scars..

The chilblains here are caused by NUFC fans taking their shirts off at matches when it's snowing while the opponent supporters are huddled under sheepskins and blankets. :wink:

I was in Cyprus once when it rained rivers of mud down the road between Coral Bay and paphos (hammer)

Bob

tomatwark":20ih81z1 said:
And the folks from the Scottish Borders come and steal your sheep and cattle and burn your house down on a regular basis.

You must come from a long line of border reivers :wink: Whereabouts are you?
Bob

Lons":1rz4lya8 said:
tomatwark":1rz4lya8 said:

You must come from a long line of border reivers :wink: Whereabouts are you?
Bob

Actually I am from that side of the border, but keep my head down :wink:

But live near Coldstream.

Wildman":1pccmrjd said:
take emergency rations and drinks for when you are stuck in the snow, plus shovel, blankets etc and hope you don't have to use them. Make sure your phone is charged and in credit. Oh and don't forget trade goods, though I think the natives are friendly.

Mobile phone charged & in credit? Can you get a signal up there? A blanket for smoke signals might be useful.

I remember moving from our flat, we had a single garage / workshop & small shed. We hired a transit & did the move ourselves, The flat took 2 loads, the garage & shed took 3 loads alone!

Lons":v4qpi6mf said:
sunnybob":v4qpi6mf said:
Lons":v4qpi6mf said:

Bob

I was in Cyprus once when it rained rivers of mud down the road between Coral Bay and paphos (hammer)

Bob

Ahh, but it was WARM rain and mud, wasnt it?

Sunshine is over rated. I hate being hot and given the choice would choose cold over heat. I spent 3 weeks in Southern France a while back and it was 30 to 35 degrees every day and i couldn't wait to get home if i'm honest.

Keith 66":2irqgqjp said:
.... Can you get a signal up there? ....

LOL..Yes, checked out during the due-diligence research when house-hunting. Not too good indoors though but Three have this system that lets you take calls via t'Internet. Even got FTTC.

It's amazing what research you can do online these days when house-hunting. You can eliminate many places that looked a possible until you do a satellite view and see the power pylons marching across the back garden. :D One search is the Environment Agency for flooding risk. After entering a postcode, it shows in blue the areas that are prone. You often see some surprising patches of blue least where you expect it. One place we looked at, I thought my browser had broken as the entire window was blue. Zooming out displayed why the browser was not broken. Somerset...River Parrott....close to the sea.

sunnybob":2k0qo1bt said:
Ahh, but it was WARM rain and mud, wasnt it?

That's very true and it didn't last long, think it was about half an hour torrential and a rare event. :lol:

I don't mind cold weather, just cold rain but love the sun. We do have our moments in Northumberland just unpredictable but that's the UK in general and the scenery, the people and relatively quiet roads (except around the Metrocentre) make up for the weather.

tomatwark":1q9e0g0f said:
Actually I am from that side of the border, but keep my head down :wink:

But live near Coldstream.

We used to have at least 1 weekend a month in Coldstream when the kids were little and we owned a touring caravan, just parked up on the site by the river, before it was a proper site and I'd fish while my wife chilled out with a book and watched to see if it would be fresh trout for dinner or something out of a packet, :lol: happy memories.

We rented a cottage on the Teviot between Coldstream and Kelso several times, (on the Monteviot Estate) mainly for the fishing. Blissful relaxing holidays but that's 30 years ago. - Seems like yesterday! :roll:

Bob

Back