Marples blue handled Sculpture tools?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Andy's Shed

Established Member
Reaction score
Someone in my area is selling a set of Marples Sculpture Tools, they're blue handled wood carving gouges as far as I can tell.

I haven't been able to find any details about them online and the seller doesn't have any info on them, other than the photos on the advert.

Does anyone know if they're worth buying for woodcarving? I've done a bit of carving with a Dremmel, but I've no real experience using carving gouges, but would like to have a go at some point. He's selling them for £40.

Screenshot_20231112_080127_Firefox.jpg

Screenshot_20231114_094824_Firefox.jpg

Many thanks Richard :)
I have a set (from when sold off as discontinued - about 1980?) - they're significantly more heavy duty than usual marples or other carving tools - intended for H Moore/B Hepworth scale of sculpture, rather than detail. -- seem to be good steel.

One day i put wood handles on em - but the 'blue chip' is fine and can be hit with any hammer/mallet.

Thanks folks. I've just picked them up and there are a few bits in the box, I've no idea what they are, the seller didn't know either.

I'll keep an eye on Ebay for a V tool, I think that's something I'm likely to need?

20231114_165806.jpg

Thanks folks. I've just picked them up and there are a few bits in the box, I've no idea what they are, the seller didn't know either.

I'll keep an eye on Ebay for a V tool, I think that's something I'm likely to need?

View attachment 169917
The piece with hole and 2 pegs is possibly the front section from a 3 in 1 or bullnose rebate plane.
I'd be surprised if he didn't have the rest unless already sold on.
Cheers, Andy

I've enjoyed using the tools today, I've been having a go at making a fairly simple house number sign.
I can now see that I might need something a little more suitable for the finer details, there are some parts on the sign that I haven't quite been able to get right.

Someone local has these tools for sale and he wants £88 for them, he's retiring and is selling his bits and pieces. I think I'll call over and take a look at them,

WoodCarvingTools.jpeg

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back