Makita Router suddenly dead

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

flintandsteel

Established Member
Reaction score
Just came to use my Makita 3612C.
Set up, pulled the trigger and got a 1 second spin, then dead. Checked fuses and it must be a tool issue.
I gathered a lot of decent tools when I was general building and kitchen fitting some years back. Always looked after them but these days they don't get regular use as they used to.
Could this be a storage issue?
The shed is block built and dry but I'm wondering if there's been a wee bit of condensation to cause this.
More or less had the same happen to my SDS earlier in the year.
Your thoughts appreciated
Jon

I would check for a brake in the cable and the motor brush be for I condemned it, especially the cable if it's been wound up up for a long time.

I was more thinking there might be a small component in the trigger might have popped.
The cable has never been tight wound but might have come adrift near the entry to the router as that's usually the section gets most twisting. The brushes will come out easily so will check those but anticipate they will be in pretty good order.
Was really trying to confirm or dismiss the storage / condensation issue or hear of a "known fault" so as to narrow it down.

The cable on my old Elu developed a break where it enters the machine. I tend to thread the cable overhead on a bungy to keep it away from my workarea. The machine would work when I started it up but shut down when I plunged ! as it stretched the cable. I suspect the OP doesn't have a cable break but it needs to be ruled out

It could be a contact issue with the switch, it would be quite is to test with a multimeter or continuity tester if you got one.
Forgot to say I always start with the Obvious and work towards the complicated.

Look like this model has an electronic speed control so that could well be the culprit. Check all the other obvious things then decide if it's worth trying to buy a replacement controller. Bit of a gamble unless you are confident enough to test it down to that level.

I just checked cable and brushes, both fine. Trigger free and no dust lurking anywhere obvious.
Under the cable entry cover, other than wires, there are 2 resin or otherwise encapsulated components. What are these? I guess one may be a capacitor but as far as I know a cap only stops the running motor from interfering with radios etc.

Perhaps the only other component is the trigger contacts possibly arked out?
Come to think of it, not even sure I got a full pull on the trigger before it stopped - really that quick.
Ah, and the speed control. Not sure I ever adjusted that so possible a little corrosion build up over the years?

So trigger or vari speed looking favourable?

OK took the top cover off the motor.
The vari speed is a little rotary pot.
But maybe more significant is the bloody big heat sink which I believe may contain a potted transistor?
Thinking logically the potted components wouldn't be susceptible to condensation if indeed that is the likely cause.
So that then reverts back to the open components of trigger and vari speec.
Is this logic working? and make any sense?
I do have a meter but never used it other than confirming dead or alive.
If going further I will need guidance.

Back