Knob for dimmer switch

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

John Brown

Freeloading Social media influenza
Reaction score
Trying to find a couple of replacement knobs for a dimmer switch. I can find loads without the protruding skirt, but they won't work, as that skirt fits through a hole in the plate, and the spindle is too short for a conventional knob.
The spindle diameter is 6mm with a flat, and the external diameter of the skirt us around 10mm. The other dimensions don't really matter much, within reason.
I may just have to buy a new 2 gang LED compatible dimmer, but I'd rather not, if I can help it.
IMG_20220104_161239.jpg
IMG_20220104_161226.jpg
IMG_20220104_161216.jpg
IMG_20220104_161208.jpg

I probably will end up doing that. I just don't like throwing perfectly good stuff into landfill, if I can avoid it.
Borasic? No. Tight? Yes
As for time on my hands, it'll take me longer to change the switch than to replace two knobs.

The only way you’re going to get some of those is if you have a very friendly electrician who is ripping some old rubbish out and you could persuade him to take the trouble to save some for you.

I probably will end up doing that. I just don't like throwing perfectly good stuff into landfill, if I can avoid it.
Borasic? No. Tight? Yes
As for time on my hands, it'll take me longer to change the switch than to replace two knobs.
Plus the hours spent Googling for the replacement ! Or creating and reading this thread !

Hey John Brown...having the exact same trouble as you.

Did you ever find anywhere to buy this dimmer knobs or get replacements?

cheers

Hey John Brown...having the exact same trouble as you.
Did you ever find anywhere to buy these type of dimmer knobs or get replacements?
cheers

I bought a couple on eBay, if I remember correctly, they were the wrong colour, but did fit.
Just checked my eBay purchase history, and I did, in fact, buy the ones found by flying haggis in the earlier post, so thank to you, FH!

Last edited:
What happened to the originals ?
One was broken, but it was a twin dimmer switch, so changed both so that they were the same colour.

As for the suggestion that I should've simply replaced the entire unit, I probably would've done in my own dwelling, but this was a rental property and I'm not a qualified electrician.

If you haven't already replaced them (I realise this thread is fairly old) try an electronics supplier such as Rapid, CPC/Farnell, RS. It looks pretty standard. Some knobs come with a removable skirt.
Martin.

If you haven't already replaced them (I realise this thread is fairly old) try an electronics supplier such as Rapid, CPC/Farnell, RS. It looks pretty standard. Some knobs come with a removable skirt.
Martin.
Thanks. I replaced mine some time ago.
If you are directing your remark to LBlondon114, I'm not sure his were the same as mine.

Thanks. I replaced mine some time ago.
If you are directing your remark to LBlondon114, I'm not sure his were the same as mine.
Yeah exact same as yours and same problem..not able to find replacements and dont want to replace whole unit if possible..need 6 of them for various rooms...

Yeah exact same as yours and same problem..not able to find replacements and dont want to replace whole unit if possible..need 6 of them for various rooms...
If I could find the other two of the four I bought, I'd send them to you, but I have no idea where they went, and you'd still need 4 more...
Think they were Rocca, if that helps.

I'll have another search...not looking good...
but a friend is going to try and 3D print some replicas from the original one i have left.

Back