Hardpoint saws vs resharpenable

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
 I appreciate the latter philosophies. My sawing technique isn't great to be honest, mainly because I haven't been able to have much practice this past c

I do fully accept using older saws and sharpening them as well. I once was more tool collector than user. but I didn't like not being productive. I only seemed to accumulate stuff. at some point I sold all my old planes and just got a few new boutiques( this was a long time ago 25+ years ago) obviously seeing people at david stanley auctions made me understand that I wasn't " one of them".

I do fully accept using older saws and sharpening them as well. I once was more tool collector than user. but I didn't like not being productive. I only seemed to accumulate stuff. at some point I sold all my old planes and just got a few new boutiques( this was a long time ago 25+ years ago) obviously seeing people at david stanley auctions made me understand that I wasn't " one of them".
I like this concept too. I'm aiming to develop a minimal but optimised and refined set of tools that I can learn to use really well. This is one of the reasons I enjoy Richard Maguire's approach in his teaching. I think sharpening saws regularly, quickly and efficiently will be part of this.

large chisel tooth ripsaws aren't really made with disposable teeth. but they are really easy to sharpen though. a big old pre etch rip saw with a tooth breast is a great thing to use tbh especially after the super just filed edge has gone.

I bought a couple of Spear & Jackson "Traditional" Handsaws. One for cross cut and one for rip. I've been using them for a few months. Recently I had to cut though some old wood that I thought probably had some nails in it, so I used a Bahco hardpoint that had previously been my main saw, but that I hadn't used since buying the S&J saws. I was surprised how insubstantial it felt. It did the job, but I really missed the weight and solid feeling of the S&J saws. I don't think I'll be going to hardpoint saws - though I expect I'll keep one about for the odd dirty job.

I haven't sharpened a saw for years, I generally only use a handsaw for rough cutting stuff to length.

I use the Bahco Ergo system where you buy the handle then just use disposable blades which are available in many different sizes and TPI etc.

The handle feels great in the hand compared to the normal disposable type saws.

https://www.toolstation.com/bahco-e...SYtbONjU3vSyA0d0AkRoCDLcQAvD_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds
Thank you. I did see this on the internet and thought it looks a brilliant idea. Good to hear that you like it. I would definitely do it if I do go down the hardpoint route.

I use the Bahco Ergo system where you buy the handle then just use disposable blades which are available in many different sizes and TPI etc.
One of the other advantages of traditional saws is that they have wooden handles, so you can shape them to suit your own hands with the tools you already use in your woodwork.

While the S&J saws are great value for the money the handle is ugly as a baboons butt. A bloke gave me a couple of blunt ones he was about to chuck in the bin. As a lockdown time filler I cleaned and sharpened them and made one a rip saw. I reworked the handles a bit while I was at it.
IMG_1650.JPGIMG_1654.JPG
Last pic is alongside an old S&J with with a decent handle. I did intend making new handles but the screw placement is not compatible with any of the older style templates I could find. Kind of the ugly ducklings in the saw till but they work very well.
Regards
John

While the S&J saws are great value for the money the handle is ugly as a baboons butt. A bloke gave me a couple of blunt ones he was about to chuck in the bin. As a lockdown time filler I cleaned and sharpened them and made one a rip saw. I reworked the handles a bit while I was at it.
View attachment 153921View attachment 153922
Last pic is alongside an old S&J with with a decent handle. I did intend making new handles but the screw placement is not compatible with any of the older style templates I could find. Kind of the ugly ducklings in the saw till but they work very well.
Regards
John
They look pretty good to me, especially with what wood you had to work with. I can't believe someone would just chuck them rather than sharpen.

The wood is actually beech same as most old ones so nothing wrong with it apart from the design.
Regards
John
Sorry I meant that you weren't starting off with a square blank and you had limited options for reshaping it.

Back