Friction Polish

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Scrums

Established Member
Reaction score
I was going to post...'Does anyone know what the base of Friction Polish is?' But a quick Google soon came up with a recipe.

My problem at the mo' is that I've a bad habit of leaving the top off and it's thickened up and gone all claggy.

Anyhow: http://www.diyprojects.info/bb/ftopic28886.html

contains a brief discussion on the subject, apparently FP is equal parts (or not) of pure alcohol, Shellac and boiled linseed oil - anybody tried making some?

At £6/8.50 per 1/2 litre for FP and almost certainly a lot less for the raw ingredients, it makes some sense - watch this space !

Chris

Scrums":3pbxjvfy said:
apparently FP is equal parts (or not) of pure alcohol, Shellac and boiled linseed oil

Nope.

But the base is meths (or near as dammit) so if you need to thin it down at all this can be used or better still, Spirit Thinners.

hehe Terry, - not going to reveal the secret recipe then?

awww - go on! :)

Hi Chris.

I don't think there is any profit in making your own friction polish. You use so little that as you say it tends to go off before you finish the can.

As Terry has said use meths to bash it down. I always thin my friction polish and sanding sealer 1 to 1, Meths for the friction polish, and 1 to 1 cellulose thinners for the sanding sealer.

I prefer to put on more coats rather than one thick coat were you try to smooth it in and get streaks, and using 1000 wet & dry between coats.

I think you're probably right, but I'm getting interested in a sort of friction polish/french polish finish for bowls....then finished with cellulose to make it more durable. I don't personally like a high gloss finish, but cut back to satin and waxed - the customers do, that's what matters.

Chris.

Scrums":12rz1i0m said:
My problem at the mo' is that I've a bad habit of leaving the top off and it's thickened up and gone all claggy.

I keep friction polish and melamine lacquer in washing up liquid bottles.
The flip top keeps them sealed and it is get just enough on cloth or paper.
I have had some friction polish about 2 years and is still good.

Fred

Hi Chris

You're not far off with that recipe and every manufacturer's product will alter slightly. You'll just need to do lots of trial work to discover which combination of raw materials work best for you.

Tip, wax is important!

Hmm, imitation, flattery... :)

Anyway, couple of things to add...

Firstly, apart from the obvious things about putting potentially harmful products into bottles that don't have appropriate warning labels, be careful too about keeping Melamine Lacqer (or any cellulose based product) in a plastic bottle, the plastic can melt and you end up with a messy puddle. It doesn't always happen but it can.

Also, Melamine on top of a shellac based polish such as Friction Polish (darn, did I just give something away?) isn't a good idea, the solvent will soften and possibly remove the shellac based product.

If you're looking for a really high gloss finish with lots of depth can I suggest using one coat of Cellulose Sanding Sealer (and I'm not going to get into a debate about thinning it) followed by a couple of coats of Melamine Lacquer, allow to dry then buff using Burnishing Cream.
If you really want to go over the top use Friction Polish after this and burnish that once it's hard dry, although of course you lose some of the durability.

.......just like buses, you wait ages for a Finishing expert, then two come along at once.....

Back