Elektra Beckum HC260 blowing fuses

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

raisedbands

Reaction score
Hi
Just bought a second hand Elektra Beckum HC260 planer thicknesser.
The machine motor goes like a dream, Chains, belts etc. That is the good news! The not so good is that when you connect the Motor to the belts, it blows a fuse!!
Has anyone had this problem or know what the issue is.

Either the capacitor has failed and there is just enough starting torque available via a weak capacitor for an unloaded motor but once the belts are on, the motor can not achieve synchronous speed, draws excessive current and the fuse blows.

OR everything is is fine with the motor and it just needs a 16amp supply and a type C breaker. Depending on your wiring and the impedance of the your mains supply, the motor on this machine is borderline as to whether it will run on a 13amp plug or not.
There have been a few cases here and on other forums about this machine eating fuses.

Note that this does not mean there is anything wrong with your wiring, it is just marginally different conditions. Often it can be temperature dependent from summer to winter.

If you consider yourself electrically competent, PM me and I can guide you through a test to try and determine which of the above cases applies.
However, I will not publish it here in the thread as less able folk might do themselves some damage.

Myfordman

friends lathe was blowing fuses faster than he could replace them,£10.00 for a new capacitor and he was up to his knees in shavings,its probably the cheapest way to try first and if it fails then Myfordman's offer would be the way to go.
I wonder how many perfectly servicable machines have been sent to the scrappies? when a cheap fix would have given them many more years of useful service.

Thanks for the replies Myfordman & MARK.B. much appreciated.
I have changed the large capacitor next to the motor and now the motor will run occasionally but most of the time (9 times from 10) when I press the on switch the motor kicks in for a fraction of a second and cuts out again,it has also blown 2 fuses while messing around with this.
Could this be a relay fault or is there a separate run capacitor located somewhere

Sounds like a more complex starter than I know about. Not expecting to have a relay involved.
If it has braking involved then I give up - they are all different.
As a general point, the absence of or faulty run capacitor (if fitted) does not prevent starting. It does affect running torque mainly.

I realise that the post is 6 years old but my HC260 which hasn't been powered up for the past 5 years has started to blow fuses. Previously it was used in Belgium where they don't have fused plugs but 16 amp radial circuits. So I installed a dedicated circuit with industrial plug/socket and 16 amp breaker but it's still tripping breaker. Motor gives a slight jolt as the breaker trips so I'm guessing it's the capacitor but would be very interested in ways to test this before wasting money.
The motor turns freely and there are no signs of rusting anywhere.

John

Hi John,

Looks like that model has a 2.2kw motor. It will draw near 10 amps when running but the starting current will be much higher for a short period of time. It is probably this inrush current tripping the MCB. The breaker you have installed is probably a type B common for domestic consumer units which trip at 3-5 times the rated current. Try replacing the MCB with type D which trip at 10-15 times the rated current. Type D are commonly used for motors to deal specifically with higher inrush current.

Dave

Latest posts

Back