Cabinet making and furniture design

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
AJB Temple":1vzfzqu1 said:
armchair warrior
wind up merchant
obsessed with sharpening
keeps asking the same question
cack handed wood stabber
lots of tools but no wood
knows what he is talking about
only joined to sell stuff

Great list, but I'd add "Fan Boy".

Fan Boy is the poster who writes to say, "I've got a Makita/Lie Nielsen/Clifton/Bosch/Aldi/Festool/Whatever and, even though I've only just ripped open the packaging and thrown away the instruction book, I already know it is the best tool ever. I have the Model Y version. There's an earlier Model X version that is complete rubbish because it doesn't have the critical feature that was only added with the Model Y, and there's also a later Model Z version which is a total waste of money. No, the only possible choice is my model Y, if you say different you are a moron and I will fight you."

Next day they post again, showing a photo of them with their Model Y Whatever, posed by a simple job in a bit of old chipboard, "Look at this!!!! See, I told you, nothing can or ever will beat the Model Y Whatever".

A week later they're back, "The Model Y Whatever is a criminally inept piece of carp. The joystick pushrod has snapped off and it's ruined the project I was working on. What kind of silly person designs this stuff? I hate this tool, I hate the company who made it, I hate the company who conned me into buying it, and I hate the transport company who delivered it."

Maybe we should revamp the forum tags for members. Stuff like settled in is cosy but not that useful as an armchair warrior can easily notch up lots of posts. We could take Custard's lead and have:

armchair warrior
wind up merchant
obsessed with sharpening
cack handed wood stabber
knows what he is talking about

All voted for by the members

AJ[/quote]

I love this list! I fit more than one category - does that make em a jack of all trades!

Welcome, Gregor!

I'm sure you'll find the forum a helpful and interesting place. A lot of topics have been discussed
(see search function) and members are generally a decent bunch.
Yes, some Dunning–Kruger here and there, but no more than in other similar places.

Droogs":2x5fxqbu said:
You mention you don't have a lot of experience with such and I'm more than happy, if you find yourself over in "auld reeky", to come and have a play around.....

Does that kind offer extend to the rest of us local novices? :)

If you're near me and want to pop in then let me know and #I'm more than happy to put on the kettle :)

Droogs":3v9pug83 said:
If you're near me and want to pop in then let me know and #I'm more than happy to put on the kettle :)
Super, I'll bring the biscuits... :D

I'm not too far away, Bathgate area. Used to work in your neck of the woods, BAE Systems on Ferry Road.

@ Grawschbags
:lol: I used to have to fix the things you couldn't make properly :lol:

Droogs":228vxemc said:
@ Grawschbags
:lol: I used to have to fix the things you couldn't make properly :lol:
Ha, hopefully nothing with my name on it! Funnily enough, a lot of my wood working requires fixing too... ;)

AJB Temple":3egv4lpn said:
Actually few people have wide ranging skills. Even experts. Some people are pretty good at specific things, reasonably competent at others and hopeless outside their sphere of true expertise. Woodwork / furniture making / cabinet making / luthery / joinery / turning / timber framing etc etc: many of us can have a decent stab at a few projects but are only really expert in one area. I have come across very few good makers (of anything) who are also visionary designers. So none of us are really riding the high horse, we are stumbling along the rocky terrain doing the best we can.

Any internet resource like this is bound to contain opinionated people. That is largely why people write stuff. Some things are helpful, some things not. Sometimes people profess expertise that they don't have and this applies to all walks of life, but the forum here is still useful.

I thought Custard's armchair warrior remark was quite funny actually, as it has a ring of truth about it. I am quite often amazed at the tool debates on here, that quickly lose me. Quite often my idea of a good tool does not go far beyond does it do what I wanted, did it break when I used it and can I maintain the thing. I know my skills are limited so what I want is tools that non-experts can use reasonably well!

Maybe we should revamp the forum tags for members. Stuff like settled in is cosy but not that useful as an armchair warrior can easily notch up lots of posts. We could take Custard's lead and have:

knows what he is talking about (custard, Derek Cohen, and the obvious others like David C)
obsessed with sharpening (staying away from that!!!)
good but won't get rich (majority from what I've seen in pics)
cuts tenons with teeth (me and a few others - but not Erik)
cack handed wood stabber
Neither wood nor tools
wind up merchant
armchair warrior (not sure where to place this)

All voted for by the members

AJ

Brilliant :lol: =D> and I've kind of fiddled with the ranking but otherwise this most definitely gets my vote for new forum ranks - but here's an additional that I think is where I am at the moment, and pillaged from a remark seen here "cuts tenons with teeth" set 1 rank above "cack handed wood stabber" and below "obsessed with sharpening", plus I think there should be a reasonable medium "good but won't get rich" and a beginner - neither tools nor wood.

we might even have some sort of forum vote system whereby if somone posts something they made (or advised on) particularly well received they get a point from thread posters (called "splinters") and eventually move up :) - and demarked ofc for being an armchair warrior or wind up merchant (except offtopic 'cause that's a free for all)

just my thoughts on that bit of fun :)

Back