Brit Cal Crutchlow qualifies 4th with broken leg MotoGP

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Graham Orm

Established Member
Reaction score
Cal Crutchlow (from Coventry), had a crash in the morning practice session yesterday. He stayed down, when a red flag came out because he was in a dangerous position he was helped to his feet then limped away. He was then given a lift back to the paddock by a marshal with a scooter, then swopped his helmet for a spectators bicycle, and rode through the paddock straight to the medical centre as per the rules then back to his pit garage so he could continue with the practice.
He went back out until the practice finished, then went straight back out to complete qualifying. He qualified 4th, which anyone who watches MGP will tell you is a great achievement in itself bearing in mind the machinery he is using. (MotoGP is the F1 of motorcycle sport, all machines are prototypes, with cutting edge technology on board, each bike worth in excess of £500k)
It came out later that an X-ray had shown a fracture in his lower leg. He's passed the medical requirements to race today. (12.30 BBC1).

Had this been a £20,000 per week soccer player he would have rolled around until he was stretchered off, then he would have been out of the game for 6 weeks.
Only the very top riders in motorcycle sport get paid, and only the works riders get 6 figures. Recently it was revealed that only 6 of the British Superbike riders are on wages, the rest hold down day jobs. British Superbike is the equivalent of Premiership football, and recognised as the best domestic championship in the world with the toughest competitors. Every bike being worth approaching £100k, plus all the team wages and transport involved making each team approaching a million pound per season enterprise.
These guys risk their lives at every single practice and race, and often don't go through a season without a broken bone.

Get behind Cal he's a Brit, he's tough as old boots, he's fast and the best hope we've had of winning the blue riband class since Barry Sheene.
001crutchlow_zpsa5fafad7.jpg

Crutchdown_zps09bda06a.jpg

Lovely day here in Spain ...I'm waiting for the racing to start , I just hope we don't loose the TV signal as we've had strong winds for the last few days ...
I'd love it if Cal could win ...but Marquez is the kid to watch ,I think Lorenzo will give him a hard time this week after the last race and that could work out well for Cal ,if those two end up in the "Kitty Litter" ....and I'd also like to see Rossi up there , I've never liked Pedrosa and I can't see him ever winning the Moto GP crown .

Cowboy _Builder":3n8z60ij said:
Lovely day here in Spain ...I'm waiting for the racing to start , I just hope we don't loose the TV signal as we've had strong winds for the last few days ...
I'd love it if Cal could win ...but Marquez is the kid to watch ,I think Lorenzo will give him a hard time this week after the last race and that could work out well for Cal ,if those two end up in the "Kitty Litter" ....and I'd also like to see Rossi up there , I've never liked Pedrosa and I can't see him ever winning the Moto GP crown .

I'd like to see Danni win it once, he's been at the front for a long time and had a lot of big injuries. I doubt if Lorenzo & Marquez will crash out, I reckon Lorenzo will clear off just to prove a point. I think Rossi has shown he's not got what it needs to compete with the real fast lads any more, shame. Hopefully Cal will get Rossi's bike soon.

Grayorm":23f7aasf said:
I'd like to see Danni win it once, he's been at the front for a long time and had a lot of big injuries. I doubt if Lorenzo & Marquez will crash out, I reckon Lorenzo will clear off just to prove a point. I think Rossi has shown he's not got what it needs to compete with the real fast lads any more, shame. Hopefully Cal will get Rossi's bike soon.

Unfortunately, I agree

Peter T":1om97go6 said:
dm65":1om97go6 said:
Last year for Rossi anybody ?

He does seem to be on borrowed time!

I hope he has the good sense to bow out before it gets embarrassing.

He blamed a bump in the track, saying he had the speed to run with the front lads, having been passed by Cal and was being pressured by Hayden. I too hope he sees the writing on the wall/pit board. Lets just wait and see, it's early.

Brilliant race and a great end for Cal getting second. Got to hand it to the guy riding with a fracture, balls of steel springs to mind. One hell of a rider considering he is not on a factory machine too. :D

mailee":2616t4lh said:
Brilliant race and a great end for Cal getting second. Got to hand it to the guy riding with a fracture, balls of steel springs to mind. One hell of a rider considering he is not on a factory machine too. :D

Yep, we shouldn't count chickens but he seems to be made of the right stuff. I don't know who will beat marquez once he gets some momentum up.

I wouldn't write Rossi off yet .....he's still new onto a bike that's changed in the two years since he last rode it ,a couple more races and he'll be up there with the rest .
Brad Smith had a good race in finishing 9th .

Latest posts

Back