bench vs. stand

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SaintD56

Established Member
Reaction score
Just wondering if it would be best to use factory designed stand with the scroll saw, or build your own stand, or just bolt the scroll saw to the work bench.
I myself have one with factory stand, and the other is one that I built on a fly just so that it had a place to sit in the shop. Now that I have two scroll saws, I am thinking about one bench to hold both together and to share one dust vav system. Any thoughts or ideal suggestions, I'm open to a good brain storming moment or two. Have A Great Day.

I have never used a factory stand as they cost money and being a tight woodworker I always make my own.
Having said that I was once advised by an expert that metal stands reduced vibration a lot better than a wooden stand, I don't remember the exact science behind this theory or even if it is correct but he said it was something to do with frequency of the vibrations and that metal was better.

You can see my stands in the image below they are very heavily built and on casters so that I can move about if required, they work perfectly well.
There are some scroll saws that vibrate so much that any stand needs to be bolted down to the floor.

I do discuss stands in one or other of my videos.

Attachments

• P1010740 (Medium).JPG
    P1010740 (Medium).JPG
    156.5 KB · Views: 0
by an expert that metal stands reduced vibration a lot better than a wooden stand
That sounds odd because wood can be a dense material that absorbs vibration. I made a large metalworking bench that used 4 inch fence post for the legs to make it solid, also look at the blacksmith who sits his anvil on wood.

Last edited:
Just a guess but maybe it is the connections. The connections in wood may allow more movement than a metal frame especially if it is welded. Because the joint may move a little bit, less vibration will be transferred through the joint. If less vibration is transferred then there is more of it to be resisted by the first member. I would assume that if were to make the stand out of a tree trunk on casters there would be no problems because the vibration would be damped by the tree trunk.

The support to a blacksmith's anvil is taking an impact load not vibration.

I was not taught to design for vibration when at college (as far as I can remember) so I maybe wrong.

I have never used a factory stand as they cost money and being a tight woodworker I always make my own.
Having said that I was once advised by an expert that metal stands reduced vibration a lot better than a wooden stand, I don't remember the exact science behind this theory or even if it is correct but he said it was something to do with frequency of the vibrations and that metal was better.

You can see my stands in the image below they are very heavily built and on casters so that I can move about if required, they work perfectly well.
There are some scroll saws that vibrate so much that any stand needs to be bolted down to the floor.

I do discuss stands in one or other of my videos.
Thank you, for your comments. It would seem to me that I can go either way or maybe a mix of both. I am not much of a scientist or physics, but after reviewing several comments and suggestions' I feel quite comfortable in building a solid bench for both saws to sit on. Thank you and Have A Great Day.

I would advise you keep the factory stand as it was designed for your machine , if wooden ones were any good the manufacturers would make them.
Treat yourself to a metal one for your other machine as doing it the right way is always best.

I have fun some 40mm kitchen worktop on top of multi drawer steel office cabinets. For free standing I have the bolt together metal ones that come in a variety of sizes from e bay etc. Provided you get one designed for the appropriate weight they are pretty good, and not expensive. You could always weld them together for extra strength but I have never found it necessary.

I have fun some 40mm kitchen worktop on top of multi drawer steel office cabinets. For free standing I have the bolt together metal ones that come in a variety of sizes from e bay etc. Provided you get one designed for the appropriate weight they are pretty good, and not expensive. You could always weld them together for extra strength but I have never found it necessary.
You could also box in at the bottom and fill with sand to dampen vibration, quite useful for lathes.

The person who told me metal stands reduced vibration was Roger Buse who was in charge of Hegner UK at the time I bought my Hegner machine so I think he knew a bit about the subject. However I have always found a sturdy wooden stand totally satisfactory and I find it is handy for storage too.

Both my stands are metal.
The Multicut is on a narrow stand and the bottom shelf has boxes of spare tiles for weight.
It is on wheels as I am very cramped for space.
It is quite high so certainly not a sit-down saw.
The old Rockwell saw was on this stand, all open pulleys :rolleyes:

The Polycut is on a larger stand also on wheels.
Weighing in at nearly 35kg it is quite sturdy.

Attachments

• image_2022-10-02_112044071.png
    image_2022-10-02_112044071.png
    631.2 KB · Views: 0
  • StandComleted.jpg
    StandComleted.jpg
    29.7 KB · Views: 0
  • MotorPulleyFitted.JPG
    MotorPulleyFitted.JPG
    74.9 KB · Views: 0
Back