Another whats under the stone post.

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
D_W":113jhvhq said:
bugbear":113jhvhq said:
D_W":113jhvhq said:
...don't really understand the wire edge (thus a stone that doesn't really leave one is easier for them to use).

Ok. I'll bite, even if I live to regret it.

What's to "understand" about a wire edge, apart from the need to remove the damn thing?

BugBear

Most of the modern sharpening regimens don't talk about it because they use stones that don't allow much of an organized wire edge to persist after sharpening.

Feel free to answer my actual question (see above). :roll:

BugBear

OK, there's removing by thinning until it releases, there's removing by tearing it off even when it's large and thick, and then there's ignoring that it's there, which isn't particularly helpful.

I started with water stones and no strop, and had no clue what a wire edge is. I honed it off without much fanfare, but when moving to oilstones, I had to learn what to do with it.

I think a person with no hands on guidance around might be a little confused about what to do with it. They'll go out to the Internet and see a bunch of conflicting advice.

Latest posts

Back