Aldi on Thursday

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
evanso82":9tb97bbg said:
What is the bench drill like? Will it be any good, compared other cheap ones?
No idea. I think others on here have bought them in the past, you could ask the question. Looks excellent value.

I have an aldi bench drill I bought second hand. The bit isn't quite at 90deg to the table and the table flexes very easily if pressure is brought to bear on it. The interlock on the lid broke and is held closed with gaffa tape. It was cheap though and is prob just about better than no bench drill. Maybe not for £60 though....

evanso82":19xecomn said:

Went and bought one, first impression for the price point is very good. It has 9 speeds setting and come with a vice too, feel decently made and run very quiet.

Oli

I went and had a look at the mini saw. I want it for rough ripping of sheets. It looked flimsy, so went to Argos and bought the Worx one. Not tried it yet,but have a job for it tomorrow.

OM99":35e89bna said:
evanso82":35e89bna said:

Went and bought one, first impression for the price point is very good. It has 9 speeds setting and come with a vice too, feel decently made and run very quiet.

Oli

What's it like under load? Say a 3" hole saw, does it/will it cope? I could really use a pillar drill, but that keyed chuck is putting me off a bit, would it be replaceable with a keyless one?

Also what's the recommendation these days for a decent bit for morticing, spade bit? or anything cleaner/better?

Graham Orm":35e89bna said:
I went and had a look at the mini saw. I want it for rough ripping of sheets. It looked flimsy, so went to Argos and bought the Worx one. Not tried it yet,but have a job for it tomorrow.

Could you update us once you've used it a bit Graham, I mentioned the Worx one to a friend after seeing your link, and it's on his Chrimby present to himself list, barring it being complete pants of course!

JSW":1j3mtg0n said:
What's it like under load? Say a 3" hole saw, does it/will it cope? I could really use a pillar drill, but that keyed chuck is putting me off a bit, would it be replaceable with a keyless one?

i just had a quick go with a 19mm auger bit in it and that copped very well , will try the biggest hole saw i have and let you know but i don't think it would be an issue, I don't see why you couldn't replace the chuck for a keyless one. the supplied chuck is very nice IMO and just click in place.

Like i say for the money i don't think you will find better new. there are limitation though the column is not overly long and with my auger bit which are very long it doesn't give a lot of room. But i will get a set of forstner bits.

for my test it drilled accurately and couldn't really see any side to side movement.

Olivier

Back