Advice needed spraying ac topcoat

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mlarm

Reaction score
Hi
I am spraying some mdf frames they are 1800mm x 1800 mm.
So I am spraying them hanging vertically.

I am using ac primer and a 40% gloss ac top coat from morrells.

The problem I am having is the finish is coming out a bit orange Peeley.
I am using a devilbiss advance hd gun with trans tech.
1.8 tip.

I'm spraying at 2 bar of pressure.

Maybe I am not getting enough coating on? But the trouble with spraying then verticle is the more paint I put on the more likely I am to get runs.

Any advice would be much appreciated.

Many Thanks
Matt

That woud depend on how precise you are as a painter.

The reason I asked was because many people close down the fan, to paint narrow items, but don't adjust the fluid control. Over application can cause orange peel and obviously sags/runs.
How far away from the workpiece are you with the gun?

I would say either your paint is too thick or you are moving too slowly and allowing too thick a coat if paint to settle. I would suggest you start at 1 point and work your way around the frame, applying a fine inital mist coat. once you get back to the start point you can then go round again slightly slower allowing the paint to fully cover the surface. it's far better for it to take 6 fine coats than 1 or 2 thick coats to cover the work. when I used to paint my vintage car and kit builds it would take me 5 or 6 coats to fully paint the car. I was shown this way by an ex Rolls Royce painter.

Thanks for the advice, I tried a 2 finer coats but that made it worse. I don't know that it is orange peel?
It's as it the coat isn't flowing into itself if that makes sense where it's a 40 gloss its as it it's not flowing out.
I think if I could lay them flat I could put enough on so it flows out, however there just too big.

Many thanks
Matt

It sounds to me like your passes are not slow enough. With them being hung vertical I would start with a quick fine mist coat which will 'grab' the paint as it is applied. Gun should be about a hands span from the work and the fan should just overlap the area you are painting. Try a practice piece first to get the hang of the speed and fluid flow you need. HTH. :wink:

Back