A review of the Axminster Router Elevator, etc

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jack (W)

Established Member
Reaction score
A review of the Axminster Router Elevator, Collet Extension, Digital Read Out unit (DRO) and Remote Reader

Axminster Router Elevator
A few months ago I decided to make a router table, and after some research I chose to incorporate an Axminster Router Elevator.

For the most part I found the Axminster website very informative, providing a detailed description of the elevator along with photographs and a link to a downloadable 2MB PDF User Manual. The manual includes a parts list and diagram, and a dimensions diagram for the tabletop cut out. (An item omitted from the dimensions diagram is the top plate corner radius, which is 8mm).

Surprisingly, I could find no list of compatible routers. I understand Axminster maintains a list of compatible (and incompatible) routers, but only for those that they sell. This compatibility list also takes into account other crucial factors such as router base diameter, base offset, handle position etc.

The illustrations in the user manual show a DeWalt 625 router being fitted, and as I intended using a CMT1E clone, I felt confident enough to buy the elevator, which came packaged in an exceedingly strong cardboard box.

The 177mm diameter ‘universal’ router mounting plate incorporates 48 holes, and I spent many a frustrating hour (well it seemed like it) lining up holes searching for the right ones to use - particularly trying because I did not know how many holes were supposed to line up. Eventually I could only find two that did. If anyone follows in my footsteps, I suggest that once you’ve found the holes you mark ‘em. (Wish I had first time around!)

I am very impressed with the quality, sturdiness and precision of the elevator. The rise and fall is very smooth and finely adjustable, so the router bit can be easily set at the height required.

Axminster Router Collet Extension

Having bought and fitted the elevator in my table, it became apparent that changing bits would be easier if I used a collet extension. As I use both ¼ and ½ inch shank router bits I chose the Axminster Router Collet Extension, which can accommodate ¼ inch, ½ inch and 8mm (nominal) collets. The collet extension comes complete with a ½ inch collet, so I only needed to separately purchase the ¼ inch collet.
With the rise and fall platform at its highest, router bits and collets can be changed from above the table using ordinary (non-cranked) 20 and 27mm open-ended spanners.

Axminster DRO and Remote Reader
A few weeks ago I succumbed to the ‘Axminster recommends…’, and I bought the Digital Read Out (DRO) and the Remote Reader.
The Remote Reader has a captive two-metre long cable terminating in a plug that fits into the side of the DRO.
The Remote Reader has a latching on/off switch, which alone operates the reader.
The DRO has separate on/off buttons, which alone operate the DRO.
The ‘Zero’ buttons on both devices are linked so that pressing either one will affect both displays.
The inches/mm selector buttons on each device operate independently.

I discovered that I had to ground the body of my CMT1E router in order to prevent the Remote Reader display going haywire whenever the router was running. For neatness I therefore rewired the router with 3-core cable and secured the earth lead to one of the metal handle stubs. An unresolved residual effect is that switching the CMT router ‘on’ also has the effect of switching the DRO ‘on’ as well. One less button press I guess.

I also experimented by trying another ungrounded router in place of the CMT1E, and there was no interaction at all with the DRO or Remote Reader.

Overall I'm very pleased with these items from Axminster.

I’m just a hobbyist, and I have no connection with Axminster other than being an ordinary customer.

Jack (W)

I've got the slightly smaller DW615 router and that too only uses two screws to mount to my router table insert plate

Thanks for the review Jack

How is the extension in performance? Have you managed to use it in anger yet? Does it cause any vibration? Does it seem to hold the bits well enough?

I was thinking of getting one of these and would be interested to hear your feedback.

Jack (W)":9wma9fo4 said:
The 177mm diameter ‘universal’ router mounting plate incorporates 48 holes, and I spent many a frustrating hour (well it seemed like it) lining up holes searching for the right ones to use - particularly trying because I did not know how many holes were supposed to line up. Eventually I could only find two that did. If anyone follows in my footsteps, I suggest that once you’ve found the holes you mark ‘em. (Wish I had first time around!)

Easier way is use something like that and rotate plate at 360 degree .
maxb_030_cpt.jpg

Peter,
Thanks for your supporting information that I probably got it right. I just couldn’t help but think that there should be at least three holes that aligned, particularly as my two ‘prime candidate’ holes were not diametrically opposed. I guess I was also influenced by a Woodpeckers UniLift mounting plate diagram that I had seen, where all the listed compatible routers are mounted using either three or four screws through more or less evenly spaced, and specifically identified, holes – three in the case of the DW625/CMT1E.

In the event the two-screw mounting seems perfectly secure though.

Decodrew,
Yes, you’re right, that’s a good idea. I wish I had thought of it, it would have made the task easier and less frustrating.

Mick,
I’ve only used the collet extension a little bit so far, all with small diameter cutters, but the bits have been held firmly and I haven’t detected any vibration. I’m not an engineer, but my immediate thought on handling the extension was that it was a quality piece of engineering - it just felt right.

Jack (W)

Latest posts

Back