3D Printed Clock Movements?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

J_SAMa

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi all,

Soooo... My school requires each of it's students to do a BIG project of their own choice. Mine is gonna be a (grandfather) clock, with an emphasis on LOW-COST. It only has to visually resemble a genuine grandfather clock so the case is the focus here.
Anyways, that means no purchasing antique British movement & chimes for me :( (it's not like I can afford it anyways :oops:). I thought letting Ponoko 3D-print the parts for a clock movement would be a good way to cut down on cost. I'm probably going to copy a design, might even be battery-powered (again, low-cost). Anyone tried this before? Or just any thoughts on designing clock movements in general. I've never done it so a tutorial/book suggestion would come in handy.

Or am I better off using an existing, modern clock movement... I'd really not like to do so because I want this project to be original.

And if it matters, I'm use hand tools only (maybe a circular saw for ripping stock but that's about it)

Sam

Random Orbital Bob":3psn3woy said:
sounds ambitious.......unless you can acquire a cheap second hand clock I don't see how you can satisfy the brief of low cost as well as original workings
Well, I just happen to have a battery-powered clock with an old-ish looking dial and OK hands. I could use it... But then again that's not original

A Grandfather Clock sounds great for the project, but could it be a little too big?
What about scaling the idea down somewhat and creating a Grandmother Clock or even a fancy wall clock?
It would certainly be more economical to make, and would be easier to find space at home to show it off afterwards.

Roughcut":1v9hqd5p said:
A Grandfather Clock sounds great for the project, but could it be a little too big?
What about scaling the idea down somewhat and creating a Grandmother Clock or even a fancy wall clock?
It would certainly be more economical to make, and would be easier to find space at home to show it off afterwards.

I haven't decided on any designs yet so wall clock would be great too. Even a miniature is fine. I'm probably going to do something like this:
https://woodworkingmasterclasses.com/pr ... ject-info/

And while I'm at it, if I want to make some moldings on the clock's sides, do I do it on the panel itself or do I glue a separate profile to it? What about for the bottom? Also are moldings ever done across the grain?

Sam

J_SAMa":w1swxos4 said:
Roughcut":w1swxos4 said:

I haven't decided on any designs yet so wall clock would be great too. Even a miniature is fine. I'm probably going to do something like this:

And while I'm at it, if I want to make some moldings on the clock's sides, do I do it on the panel itself or do I glue a separate profile to it? What about for the bottom? Also are moldings ever done across the grain?

Sam

I see no reason why you couldn't either use a traditional "frame and panel" construction with routed edge mouldings for example, or even use "planted beaded mouldings" over a plywood box construction.

Roughcut":3fs8i0s9 said:
J_SAMa":3fs8i0s9 said:
Roughcut":3fs8i0s9 said:

Sam

I see no reason why you couldn't either use a traditional "frame and panel" construction with routed edge mouldings for example, or even use "planted beaded mouldings" over a plywood box construction.

I'm not sure what you mean buy "planted beaded mouldings"?

And with a frame and panel design, would you put beadings in the panel or mouldings in the frame?

Sam

kostello wrote:
How about a paper / cardboard movement?

The movement isn't paper / cardboard. The paper pattern ia glued to the wood and then the wood is cut out with the pattern stuck to it so the wooden gears look like paper, but there is wood under the paper.

You will beed a scroll saw or fret saw to cut them out though...

I'd like to see the 3 d printer printed movement if you do it...that's the way to go to keep it cheap if you can print it cheaply. The plastic movement won't last that long i'd guess though.

Good luck....

oh and planted mouldings mean you buy or make the mouldings then cut them out and glue and pin them to your clock to add for want of a better word 'decoration'

There are plans for wooden clock movements available on the web, guess you could convert these to 3d printer files, but I don't expect it would meet your cheap criteria. You could also try laser cutting ply but again it doesn't sound cheap as there are likely to be a lot of parts to get made.

eg: http://www.woodenclocks.co.uk/

Hi Sam
May be too quirky.
But a working clock in coloured plastic from: happypuzzle.co.uk
£15 (about).
John

Attachments

• Capture 2.JPG
    Capture 2.JPG
    29.4 KB · Views: 60
Back