Worcestershire Bash-3rd September

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Peter Sefton

Wood Workers Workshop
UKW Supporter
UKW Sponsor
Reaction score
Threshing Barn, Upton-upon-Severn, Worcs WR8 0SN
Worcestershire Bash-3rd September

Hi Guys
I will be hosting the woodturning bash this year at my furniture making school on Saturday 3rd September 2011.
Peter Sefton Furniture School
The Threshing Barn, Welland Road, Upton Upon Severn, Worcestershire, WR8 0SN
http://www.peterseftonfurnitureschool.com/
We are about three miles from the Three Counties Show ground (if that helps)

I am also holding an open day here on Saturday 9th July, with the chance of wining a free short course check out the website to enter. So please do come along and see us if you are free.
http://www.peterseftonfurnitureschool.com/open-day/

Here is some of the information I have copied from the other thread (The next bash) sorry for repeating myself, but please do check that thread for more information unless someone cares to update the relevant bits.

I think we can accommodate up to 30 people, so for those that are coming, please can you email me with your name and contact details so that I can keep track of numbers, and email you with any general information about the arrangements [email protected]
If you have other lathes and kit you want to bring just let me know (as long as it complies to H&S and is PAT tested).

We have here a small Kitchen for our students which has hot water and a sink, fridge, microwave, kettle etc. and seating inside the classroom for about 8. So for a general cup of tea during the day and a bit of chat, we are all sorted. We'll provide the tea, coffee and milk.

For eating arrangements, it may be an idea to have the BBQ/American supper idea where we could each bring along something for the grill such as a pack of beef burgers, sausages, bread rolls, etc. We have a decent BBQ here but it might need someone to bring along another if numbers really grow. I will shout out if we do.

We have plenty of room in the paddock outside to gather and eat or if the weather turns, we have a large car port off the workshop. Suggest you bring your own drink and a chair to sit in. (Some photos of the School workshops and outside areas are attached – as you can see there is plenty of room for us all and parking).

Very happy to provide the venue and for someone else to co-ordinate the eating arrangements etc., and I'll fall in with you (as I am rather time poor). I’ll try to keep up with the thread between now and the Bash, but if there is anything I need to know, perhaps you could email me at [email protected] to keep me in the loop.

Cheers

Peter

Attachments:

file.php

file.php

file.php

file.php

Mod edit: picture links sorted CHJ

Times: 10 am to 4 pm

Members Bring with you items.

Bring along your own chairs or stools.
Impact Protection Face Shields if you intend using the lathes.

"Bring Along" Demos, Show and Tells etc. please co-ordinate with: The Shark

Provisional Attendees listing:

Doug B
CHJ
Wood spoiler
Steve Jones
SVB
mikec
Benchwayze
T.Walton
Chris Eagles (demonstrator)
gregmcateer
PsyMan
frugal
paulm
liamscanlan
knappers
Paul Hannaby

The Shark--- Sorry work schedule has got in the way.
Oakbear--- Sorry work schedule has got in the way.
miles_hot--- Sorry work schedule has got in the way.

Paul J--- Not attending.

Add names or salient details to this thread and I will clean up this post to reflect as we go.

I am prepared to act as volunteer co-ordinator, if that is the wish of the majority of those who are attending the bash.

Please be aware that I am to computing what the Kray twins were to community relations!

Malc :)

Available on Location

2 x Axminster AWVSL Lathe
1 x NuTool lathe
Wolf Air Sioux 50 compressor

Bring Alongs

CHJ - Chestnut Buffing System
Steve Jones - Munro Hollowing Tool and chainsaw demo kit
WoodSpoiler - Beal Buffing System and Foredom Power Carving Tool
SVB - Sorby Stewart system, Rolly 1/2" and 5/8" tools, Kelton 3/16, 1/2" and 3/4", Exocet 1/2" and Woodcut straight tool
mikec - Sorby RS2000k, Sorby Texturing Tool, Proxxon with Arbortech, SIP mini-lathe
Benchwayze - an old oak Indian club, and a challenge for it to be copied on the day
T.Walton - PAT tester and WOODWORKING SUPPLIES FOR SALE
DougB - sense of humour

Exhibits Table - bring along something you'd like to show or discuss.

Sale or exchange table - just as it says on the tin!!

Demos

Chris Eagles:
-----------------Box making (eccentric and off-centre lid decorations);
-----------------texturing (three different tools and techniques);
-----------------tool preparation and sharpening
-----------------“An Alternative Skew” which comes with a no-catch guarantee !!!!!

Colouring - T.Walton
Skew - T.Walton
Fruit - T.Walton
Chainsaw Safety - Steve Jones. (TBC nearer the date due to possible internment).
Pen Turning - mikec

Requests for Demos/Information - anyone able to assist?

All covered at present

Thanks from me to Miles Hot for getting this on the agenda.

To Peter for the generous offer of his "palatial" venue

And to Malc for taking on co-ordination of the event.

I am looking forward to meeting everyone and an enjoyable educational day.

I can bring along the Beal buffing system if you want a comparison to the chestnut version. If anyone is interested I can also bring the Foredom tool (power carving)

=D> =D> =D> =D> =D>

Hi,

I would like to attend also.

I can bring the following hollowing stuff if it is useful:
Sorby Stewart system
Rolly 1/2" and 5/8" tools
Kelton 3/16, 1/2" and 3/4"
Exocet 1/2"
Woodcut straight tool

BRgds
Simon

Hi
I can bring along the Sorby RS2000k set and a full set of Sorby Texturing tool and cutters. I also have a Proxxon with an Arbortech cutter and a number of homemade hollowing tools.

I could also bring along a SIP mini lathe and stand if required.

Regards,

mikec

I was going to offer to bring the Beal system however Colin beat me to it. I guess I could bring a tormek if people wanted to try it out?

In terms of what I'd like to see demo'd (assuming we can find people happy to do it):

Pen Turning
Use of colour - types of stains (water / spirit), techniques for applying (rubbing, blowing etc) and how it plays against texturing etc
On the subject of texture we've been seeing some pretty amazing stuff this year - can any one give hints and tips?

I have some water based stains I can bring along if someone needs them to help demo. I can also bring some metal powder and show inlay however it's hardly worth a demo! (mix, apply, dry, sand!!)

Miles

I have been asked to clarify a couple of points for those who have said they are attending, and anyone else who may wish to join in:

1. A list of who is bringing what kit, and what kit/demos have been requested if anyone is prepared to help, is being maintained as the third post on this topic.

2. Eating arrangements will be clarified nearer the time when we have a better of ideas of numbers attending.

Looking good so far folks :D
I could bring along the Lyle Jamieson hollowing rig,not sure if it will fit on the lathes Peter has.,but could show how it works :?:
I also could bring the Woodcut Pro-form straight and curved hollowing tools.
I would like to be shown how to use the Skew if anyone fancies that :D I feel it's a tool i'm missing out on.
I would also suggest everyone to bring along a face shield if you fancy having a go at some turning :D Good point Paul, added to members bring along list

As Peters Insurance cover requires that all electrical equipment over 12 months old has a current PAT test sticker Tony (T. Walton) has generously offered to make the trip and bring his kit with him.

Anyone bringing mains powered kit along will need to see Tony for him to give it the thumbs up before any of it is powered up.

For those that don't know what is involved then This Pat testing Info. link may be of interest.

Hi All, it’s a 3 and a half hour drive for me but I will be there.

I will drive up the day before and stays somewhere for the night so I will be ready for the morning start.

Pat testing, consider it done, I do pat testing and will bring my Seaward Primtest 350 with me.

I’m also happy to do a colouring demo and to do some hands on with the skew for those that wish to learn.

Is there a compressor in the workshop?

Tony

Thats great news Tony,will look foreward to meeting you,and the Skew :lol:

Don't forget the Sale and swap of tools,timber etc.

Paul.J":30xu2j10 said:
Thats great news Tony,will look foreward to meeting you,and the Skew :lol:

Don't forget the Sale and swap of tools,timber etc.

This is a dimension not mentioned before ... b(leastways not recently for the benefit of us newbies!

Sounds good though

T. Walton":3sxm6lao said:

I will drive up the day before and stays somewhere for the night so I will be ready for the morning start.

Pat testing, consider it done, I do pat testing and will bring my Seaward Primtest 350 with me.

I’m also happy to do a colouring demo and to do some hands on with the skew for those that wish to learn.

Tony

Thanks for making the effort

It will be good to meet you

T. Walton":1p5yjrqi said:

Tony

Hi Tony
That’s great news and very much appreciated, check out places to stay http://www.peterseftonfurnitureschool.com/where_we_are/where_to_stay/here.
I have a Wolf Air Sioux 50 compressor that you are welcome to use.

Cheers Peter

Ivé missed the last 2 of these.

Is it possible to get from Birmingham Airport to that Malvern railway st ???

ie - is there a train st at the airport ??

loz":24y5xy5o said:

I'll be travelling past Birmingham airport on the day, so could give you a lift if you like?

I'll also have Paul J in the car, and it looks like he is taking half his shop with him, so I hope you travel light :wink:

T. Walton":sxm8rhje said:

.....Tony

That's great Tony, another hurdle out of the way.

loz":1w4zwml5 said:

Loz,we are about 10-15 minutes away from Brum airport,so depending what time you get here we could come and get you,bring you back to ours and wait for Malc,or you could get a taxi :?:
Besides the more the better for loading up Malcs car :lol: :lol:
Any chance of Boysie coming along,if Malcs got the room that is:?:

Back