Woodstar BS52

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Joiner

Established Member
Reaction score
Avoid the Woodstar BS52 like the plague.

I bought one from Machine Mart and it took them three weeks to get the correct collets to me because it was supplied with 8mm and 12mm collets instead of the UK 1/4" and 1/2".

I bought it just to keep in one corner of the workshop for putting light mouldings on bead. It seemed fine on the trial run, but when I put through four lengths of 760mm long 15 x 15 bead material the ogee cutters DROPPED by 2 mm. The vibration overcame the locking action on the height adjustment, which was as tight as it would go.

And the dust extraction outlet has guard bars across it which clog up with swarf in about one second flat. I cut them off, which I suspect Machine Mart will use as an excuse not to refund the whole amount.

The machine was returned to Machine Mart two weeks ago for refund. Still haven't heard from them.

Well, for what it's worth, 8mm collets are quite handy - cutters with an 8mm shank aren't that much dearer than ¼in. bits and you get more steel for your money! :wink: Some router manufacturers (Makita!!!) supply 3/8in. collets with their routers, which is of no use to man or beast! :x

I don't full understand why there's a guard in the extraction outlet... It's common now to find these inside the actual extractors, to stop larger chunks from being sucked up and damaging the fan... Why on Earth do they put them in the table's port???

Olly, I was gobsmacked when I realised what was happening. But the machine seems to have been designed by someone who spends all their time in an office. Actually, that's not entirely fair, MOST of their time in an office, because it does have some good features for a router table, notably the ability to raise and lower the cutter and adjust the speed externally, instead of having to fiddle around underneath the table. It's also surprisingly solid considering the base is plastic.

But the failure of the locking mechanism is a big no-no.

As for the collet sizes. I don't have an issue with 8 and 12mm per se, but when the machine is advertised as coming with 1/4" and 1/2" collets that's what you expect to get, especially when the sixty or so, several-hundred-pounds-worth of cutters in your workshop are of the Imperial size! Only six of those cutters are of 1/4" shank, all the others are 1/2" because they get to do a LOT of the work that I can't be assed to set up the spindle moulder for.

There are times when you just want a little machine that will sit quietly in a corner of the workshop and be ready to cut those little fiddly jobs like bead, especially when you've got the main router table set up for the macho jobs ( :) ).

After that experience with the Woodstar I'm waiting delivery of a Fox F60-105 spindle moulder, which looks like a handy piece of kit, especially as it comes with a fitment that converts it to a router, making it a very versatile machine at a VERY good price. Although I'll have to clear a bigger space for it.

And Machine Mart STILL haven't got back to me!

On the basis of their after-sales service, who wants to continue defending them?

I avoid buying from Machine Mart whenever possible.

I bought a "professional" set of Torx keys with a "lifetime guarantee." The head of one key broke on its first use and I returned them. The branch manager claimed it would be illegal for them to simply swap the old set for a new one (a load of rubbish I know!) and quite aggressively told me that the only thing they'd do is send back the set to head office where it would be assessed to see if I'd misused it, and potentially replace the one broken part. It took a couple of weeks to get the replacement, and when I complained to head office their response was essentially "sorry you didn't like it, but we have complied with the law."

Since then I see the place only as a backup for when other, more reasonable, tool shops are shut.

That was my experience about twelve years ago and the policy hasn't changed in all this time.

I'd bought a LOT of tools from MM and knew the manager and staff of the Wolverhampton branch well, but a new manager came and the whole culture of the place changed. As with your experience, he was aggressive (although they'd call it assertive) and indifferent to the situation that "assessment" policy caused in depriving me of the tools I needed in my trade. I simply never went back and they lost thousands in sales.

I'd gone back there this time because when I phoned about the Woodstar (which they had competitively priced) I spoke to a girl who was friendly and couldn't do enough to help - rather as I'd experienced all those years ago - so I made the decision to drive across and buy the machine. She was helpful and friendly and efficient. Fine.

The rest of the history is above!

As I said earlier, B&Q may have its problems (although my local branch at Kidderminster seems to be an exception) but their no-quibble guarantee/refund/exchange policy means I'm never without a tool.

As for after-sales service on my main workshop machinery and tooling, it's why I use Paskins, they can't do enough to shift things along for you. Those are the people I stick with. Price isn't always the issue, just a factor, one of many.

I'm still waiting for the results of Machine Mart's "assessment". I've already made mine of them. I'll never return there.

Incidentally, the Fox F60-105 spindle moulder has proved to be an excellent piece of kit, although the router adaptor leaves the cutter 30mm above the table at the spindle's lowest setting, which is a bit odd. I overcame that by machining a piece of oak to screw to the table using two threaded holes in the cast iron table. It rules out the use of the sliding table for scribing, but for what I wanted it for (machining bead as a back up to the main router) it works great. Even the 8,000rpm (highest of the three) running speed isn't a problem, the machine cutting smoothly and chatter-free with a fine finish even in softwood. I would unhesitatingly recommend the Fox to any workshop.

This is the mod for using the router adaptor. Took about half an hour to machine and fit.

2wcmbkz.jpg

I bought a BS 52 (cast iron table) around 6 months ago.
I have given it a fair amount of work to do in that time
and I must say I am quite satisfied with it's performance
The down side, as has been said is the dust extraction port.
Also the fences are quite flimsy plastic and are of little use.
Having said that,with my own fences fitted I would not be
without it.
Willy.

Back