wood

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
If it needs to be very white (and stay very white), I'll pre-empt Brian's visit and say why not use Corian?

never heard of corian before will give this a look at and will take note of the other woods mentioned thank s for taking the time to answer my questions everyone

john

pain is the best attention getter

thanks again for all your reply's I did find some aspen from the website that marcros gave me but in my heart I now know I would not be satisfied with the end result, as looking at other peoples work - more so my own - I have substituted tulip for white and was not happy - using aspen etc it seems to lack something - me who has had 3 months only doing intarsia - so i am going to give corian a go first.

I am going ask my wife to take some photos with her tablet and post them of my last three projects and constructive comments would be greatly received because with out them I will never improve, and improve I will.

last week I tried my first flying dutchman blade a spiral one and the difference in the cuts I made ,far superior to the blades I have tried before or maybe I am getting better who knows maybe a bit of both.

Has anyone tried the titanium and gold blades at all ??? from the Judy Gale Roberts site

john

I've posted this before, but I'm a little surprised that makers of intarsia don't get together with some of the turners here and take offcuts. I'm sure they would pass them on for the carriage, as often they put some really interesting bits in the stove. The offcuts from say a square 12" x 12" x 4" or larger are quite a size if you only need small pieces, and turners aren't usually interested in boring grain.
I didn't get a single comment afaik when I suggested it.

corian arrived today I am suitably impressed will now have to sort something out to do with it

take care
John

hi again I have finally almost cleared the decks to start on a project with the corian I bought now the question which is the best blade to use??, I do have some ultra reverse and some spiral or would it be best to purchase some other type of blade. I have seen some titanium ones advertised and wondered if they may be ok to use any feed back would be appreciated

thanks
John

Be aware of the dust problem when cutting and sanding Corian John, usual precautions required.

As an aside, when carving a few years ago I needed something to represent ice and bleached a piece of sycamore just using hairdressers peroxide. Worked a treat.

Bob

Claymore":lk2qtb0a said:
That sounds interesting Bob :D I have plenty of sycamore so do you just give it a few coats of Peroxide? might even give myself a Billy Idol hair cut while I am at it :lol: (Ruth just said "More like Bone Idle" :( )

Will have to give it a go.
Cheers and thanks for the tip

Brian
From memory mine had 3 coats but you have to wash it off which raises the grain. I didn't find that a problem as the sycamore I had was hard and I got a glass like finish just with wax. I've only done it once though so might depend on the quality of the wood you have
Best way is use a scrap bit to get the lightness you need and there will be a point where it doesn't get any lighter.

Bob

Back