WIP Rolling Bench

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mbartlett99

Established Member
Reaction score
For a long time I've been working from the garage; ok but cold in winter and tbh a bit cramped with all the machines, bikes and stuff. I got into the incredibly unproductive habit of using my table saw as a workbench which always meant moving loads of gear to use and moving it back- it was a stupid way to work. Soooo ... it was a bit of a plus when the proper work shop became vacant after the divorce but it was still just an empty box. Time to get amongst it ...

I'd bought some maple worktop a while back for £20 on ebay but it was badly cupped so it had just kind of sat there waiting for use or the fire. It wasn't fit to make a proper workbench out of but I really want a big flat table thingy for finishing/veneering/random thingies. At this point anyone with sense would've made a plan or even a drawing not me though - no plan, little idea, lots of tools (not many skills). To ensure maximum irritation I'd be had a load of new tools that I had no idea about.
005.jpg

Did a bit of maths and chopped that lot down into strips and fired it through the pt so I lengths 90mm x 38mm x 2m
015.jpg

A vague idea popped in to say hello involving lots of half lap joints, castors and mitred legs. What could possibly go wrong?

Attachments

• 005.jpg
    005.jpg
    62.3 KB · Views: 770
  • 015.jpg
    015.jpg
    30.5 KB · Views: 770
The plan was to have the legs mitred and then half laps joining the rails to the legs. For extra giggles I decided to do it all by hand using my new toys - been stateside for the last 4 months where I bought a load of gear. Also had the new combination to put through its paces a bit.

047.jpg

057.jpg

I was vaguely amazed that the mitre had come out pretty well - never done that before. Now to start cutting the laps.
063.jpg

Attachments

• 047.jpg
    047.jpg
    60.9 KB · Views: 759
  • 057.jpg
    057.jpg
    63.3 KB · Views: 759
  • 063.jpg
    063.jpg
    54.2 KB · Views: 759
Hadn't done this before especially by hand so I was just a touch shaky to begin with - don't do much sawing.

053.jpg

I found the new saw a bit grabby but it seemed to cut true enough - when I had wandered off the shoulder plane stepped in. Have to say I like the veritas shoulder plane a lot. Unfortunately I didn't take any photos of the router plane set up I used to level the cheeks - slow going but pretty accurae.

Attachments

• 053.jpg
    053.jpg
    64.8 KB · Views: 739
067.jpg

After truing up the joints which took a while gluing up the ends was pretty ok.
069.jpg

The long rails were a bit of a pain though - 1.8m long is way bigger than my largest clamps. Took to clamping them across the way then giving a hard thwack to knock it tight.

070.jpg

Attachments

• 067.jpg
    067.jpg
    60.6 KB · Views: 737
  • 069.jpg
    069.jpg
    65.4 KB · Views: 737
  • 070.jpg
    070.jpg
    66.7 KB · Views: 737
The end result came out well - pretty square - but not perfect, good enough for a workbench I guess. I'd wondered if it would be stiff enough but seems pretty solid.

Gave it all a good sand then added the lower shelf and a double mdf top. Now getting pretty heavy. Hope the castor s will be ok.
IMG_1075.jpg

I had a bottle of sanding sealer kicking around so gave it all a good two coats of that. Then time to add a little extra functionality.
IMG_1077.jpg

End result - the worlds biggest router table.

IMG_1085.jpg

Still got plans to add more but not quite sure; nvr for the router maybe, ordered the mitre track but it hasn't arrived yet and got to knock up a fence too. Anyone got any smart suggetions?

Attachments

• IMG_1075.jpg
    IMG_1075.jpg
    70.5 KB · Views: 736
  • IMG_1077.jpg
    IMG_1077.jpg
    64.4 KB · Views: 736
  • IMG_1085.jpg
    IMG_1085.jpg
    61.5 KB · Views: 736
Back