Wine Butler

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Claymore":37qkx80w said:
Superb work Naz buts whats with the Anagrams? :roll:

Quite literallly....

Llongyfarchiadau - Congratulations

Margaret a Ifor - Madge & Ivor

Dathlu 40 Priodas Ruddem - Celebrate 40 Marriage Ruby (or 'celebrate 40 rusty marriages' if you use an online translator) :-D

Cariad Mawr - Love Big

Aeronwen - The name of the lady who asked me to make it.

Claymore":1r19hi9y said:
The lettering really does stand out well Naz

I'm finding that the English (don't tell the client) Oak takes the transfer well, probably because it can stand a bit more heat than some of the 'softer' woods I've tried.

NazNomad":1lr79vwq said:
Hopefully this is the last one, I hate doing this lettering. :-D

That looks really good. What is it you hate about doing it?

Is it inkjet glossy photo paper? Presumably the toner just sits on the surface and the heat of the iron fuses it to the wood?

Do you coat it with anything once it is on the wood?

MrTeroo":3kb1o9wh said:
What is it you hate about doing it?

Do you coat it with anything once it is on the wood?

It's the glossiest photo paper you have and the laser toner is plasticised, so it just sits on top until you melt it with the iron.

The part I hate - the ironing part, it's a bit hit & miss depending on the wood you use. The harder & tighter the grain, the better the transfer of toner.

Also, getting all the lettering to look right can be a nightmare. I'm perfectly versed with Photoshop, but my design skills leave a lot to be desired.

I usually just hit the finished piece with BLO, it doesn't affect the toner.

Added to the list of things I want to have a go at when I get time :D

You can buy glossy photo paper for laser printers or for inkjet printers.

I'm guessing you're using the inkjet version? Photo paper made specifically for laser printers would accept the toner better I assume.

If it goes wrong during the iron on transfer, are you able to remove the toner from the wood?

MrTeroo":34wuhcjp said:
Added to the list of hings I want to have a go at when I get time :D

You can buy glossy photo paper for laser printers or for inkjet printers.

I'm guessing you're using the inkjet version? Photo paper made specifically for laser printers would accept the toner better I assume.

If it goes wrong during the iron on transfer, are you able to remove the toner from the wood?

It's inkjet paper I use, because I have loads left from when I owned an inkjet.

If it all goes wrong, the best way to remove it is sand it and start again.

Despite my loathing of the process, they seem very popular. I suspect if you lived somewhere a bit less rural than me, you'd sell them by the thousand.

Claymore":z47rfmzh said:
You could make nice Ouija Boards using this technique Naz :cool:

Not sure SWMBO would allow one in the house. I seem to recall she used on once and it freaked the sh*t out of her. :-D

Back