wilkos pick and mix

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

flying haggis

Established Member
Reaction score
just been in to Wilkos and they have a sort of pick and mix section(like Woolies used to with sweets )for screws, bolts , washers,hooks and a few other bits. small bagful £1.99 large bag £2.99

i chose a small bag and filled it with loads of "penny/repair" washers, nuts,hooks and some carcass screws. all in it weighed 620g so lots of useful stuff for not a lot of money

might get you out of a muddle without having to buy lots of one thing when you only need a few.

Put the by big stuff in first, 100 mm bolts for example, then you pack in the nuts, wing nuts and washers around them

K

+1 Yup I found this a while back - I stuffed the bag so full it wouldn't even close and the cashier joked "like to get your money's worth?" like the advert :)

By comparison a nearby " independent hardware store" does those prepacked small bags with just a few in for the same money.

You people are dead lucky!

Here (Switzerland) we don't have such things. In the local town there was a little traditional old hardware store - you know, the kind of dark, slightly musty place with all sorts of "treasures" hidden way in dusty cardboard boxes, etc. That was great because if you only needed one "left-handed right-forked quadro plunk clapper valve" he had 'em (somewhere!), AND they only cost a few bob each too!

But he died recently and his son wasn't interested in taking the business over. Shame!

So here we now only have a choice between the professional/trade places which CAN be helpful to bodgers like me but normally only want to sell stuff in trade packs of minimum 500 off, or the DIY Emporia which is OK for just a few, but which charge megabucks for that priviledge - like most of UK too now I guess?

AES

I'm not convinced about these pick & mix bags - I have jam jars full of my own pick & mix leftovers - can never find what you want and if you do there is never enough.

Brian

Glad to hear the Pick & Mix is still available - obviously not available in all branches though, having moved a couple of years ago and not finding them in my local branch I assumed the offer had been discontinued.

They used to have the same thing a Ikea fill a bag with bits, I cleared them out of dowels one day.
Last time I went they didn’t do it.

Pete

But are they crawling with child-snot and germs just like the Woolies P&M used to be? :D

People rave about this on the woodworking uk facebook page.

I just don't get it. There isn't much choice, so you end up with a massive bag of things you're rarely going to use.

I don't think I have ever seen this in a wilko, will have to look out for it. I use a fair few washers and never have enough of certain sizes and they are pricey in little bags.

I have to agree with Phil.p. For a few pounds you get a useful selection of bits that are just there when you need them. Not only that but the selection is your own, so you don't have to pay for bits you don't think you will need, or bits you already have plenty of.

K

Hi all
Went to wilko in splalding an got a bag full of bits love there penny washers got a nice lot of bits an pieces bargain you almost get feed up stuffing bits in the bag nice one.

Our local wilko did have a pick and mix and I got some today. Amazing what I was able to squeeze into one of the small bags.

M8 washers, 4 pack £1.25, m6 wingnuts 10 pack for £1. Well I must have crammed at least 20 of each of those into my small bag along with countless more bits. Excellent value for money I think. Screws and bolts, maybe not, depends how much you need, a bulk order online is probably better value but I don't think you can beat it on the washers etc.

For anyone interested (probably not but you never know) this is what I managed to fit into a small (£1.99) bag without it straining too much at the seams. I wasn't counting as I went along I was just grabbing a few at a time and guessing proportions.

Penny Washers:
M5 x 16
M6 x 37
M8 x 21

Wingnuts:
M6 x 28
M8 x 24

So a total of 126 pieces, pretty good value I thought and will keep me well stocked for a long time.

Back