Which planer

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Joshjosh

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi
So I'm currently trying to decide between a couple of planner thicknessers on eBay , a kity 636 or an elu pt 260 clone
I'm after a reliable accurate machine that will be manageable to lift in and out of a doorway. Wondered if anyone had any experience of either of these machines or brands
Thanks josh

I'd guess that would depend on whether or not you're built like Arnie in his prime with the strength to go with it. I have the Elektra HC260 and whilst I was able to lift that out of the car unaided (and I'm most certainly not built like Arnie, even when I was in my prime!) and subsequently lift it onto the mobile base I made for it, hauling it in and out of doorways is't something I'd want to be doing on a regular basis.

Lonsdale73":2td50j0q said:
I'd guess that would depend on whether or not you're built like Arnie in his prime with the strength to go with it. I have the Elektra HC260 and whilst I was able to lift that out of the car unaided (and I'm most certainly not built like Arnie, even when I was in my prime!) and subsequently lift it onto the mobile base I made for it, hauling it in and out of doorways is't something I'd want to be doing on a regular basis.

Not quite;) but I'm young and pretty fit the plan is to get a permanent place soon. How do you find the performance of yours? my only reservation about the 260s is there fences seem a bit flimsy

Joshjosh":yjyif4sp said:
Lonsdale73":yjyif4sp said:

Not quite;) but I'm young and pretty fit the plan is to get a permanent place soon. How do you find the performance of yours? my only reservation about the 260s is there fences seem a bit flimsy

Mine came with a robust shop made fence. I have the original but I've never used it, figuring the previous owner made his own for a very good reason. Performance is definitely related to ability. The guy I bought mine from demoed it before the sale. He took some rough-as-a-bear's-bum timber, some cupped, some bowed some twisted and produced something usable from each piece. I haven't got his experience or ability so my pieces don't fly through at the same rate he could process his. I'm also a bit cautious of something that spins that fast with razor sharp blades although that didn't stop me attempting to sacrifice my finger tip to it. I think they're probably like a lot of woodworking machines, read the manual thoroughly, treat it with the utmost respect, don't do anything stupid and you'll get on fine.

You could always have it put on a pallet and buy yourself a second hand pallet truck for about £70 or so. Then make a simple ramp. Thats what I did. The only annoyance is that the planer sits higher than normal and I'm not that tall, which makes working with large stock difficult, but still possible. I bolted it to the pallet, of course. Solid as a rock.

Back