Which drive centre

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

deema

Established Member
Reaction score
I bought a Union Graduate lathe some years ago.....primarily as a disc sander! Anyway, I had a go with it this last weekend and really enjoyed the experience and would like to do some more. I'm struggling to find an m3 morse taper drive centre to go into the head stock. I can find lots of m2, but equally no suitable M2 to M3 adapter. I have an M2 drive centre....which I used in a 4 jaw chuck to have a play!! I also have an M2 to M3 adapter for my drill, but the standard M2 drives don't fit unless I chop a bit off it.

I'm sure there must be a solution and would appreciate any help.

You can usually get this sort of thing from metal lathe suppliers. I have bought various MT adapters from Chronos, reasonably priced too. They also do a version of a Stebb type centre in 1MT for £15 inc postage. They don't seem to have the larger sizes in stock at the moment.
One thing I really like about my graduate is the spindle thread - same on both sides so a L / R threaded chuck fits both sides too. Saves getting a separate chuck, or an adapter. And if you are sanding you can move the work from inboard to outboard or vice versa and get the effect of reverse rotation without the Chuck unscrewing.

K

Back