What wood is this

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tommo 62

Established Member
Reaction score
I have been give some logs by the guy next door. No idea what make it is so few pics answer on back on new Tenners please.
i tried turning a bit tight grain and smooth.

No idea what the last 2 logs are other than big. It`s pity no name in middle like in a stick of rock.

Wife came down workshop see what i was doing. Cleaning up sawdust and chippings. Vacuum cleaner is slow and clogs up easy. Why don't you use the leaf blower on suction she says :roll: Bloody great idea cleared away in minuets and emptied in the garden wheelie bin. one of her better ideas i might add.

tommo

Well if it is ? it turned very easy and i just played out came this. The bit on the top of headstock.

tommo

I've just been reading up on birch, and it turns out not to be as useless as I had thought. Turners love it, apparently, and it can be made into furniture. Don't use it for outside stuff.

Silver birch can be quite plain but when left to spalt it can be very nice but it does tend to rot very quick so you have to catch it just right.

MikeG.":248l2w6p said:
I've just been reading up on birch, and it turns out not to be as useless as I had thought. Turners love it, apparently, and it can be made into furniture. Don't use it for outside stuff.
Don't forget the bark! It is great for lighting camp-fires or it was when I was in the cubs many decades ago.

Its definitely silver birch and its a cracker to turn so get as much as you can. It's a brilliant practice wood, abundant, easily available, hard and tales a finish well but forgiving on the tools unlike oak. And as Derek says, it can be bit boring but when spalted can be very striking. Whenever birch comes up at club auctions its always popular and sells quickly.

JimB":s3h6oay7 said:
Don't forget the bark! It is great for lighting camp-fires or it was when I was in the cubs many decades ago.

When you were allowed to play with fire. That is if H & S has not stopped them using matches and lighters :twisted:

Back