What to buy?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MJP

Established Member
Reaction score
I rather fancy buying a small lathe - no real idea what I'm going to do with it, but vaguely thinking of making little knobs, control levers, inlays and suchlike out of plastics, brass and aluminium, together with wooden items such as file and chisel handles. Nothing big, and no interest in bowls etc.

So I suppose I'm looking at a mini metal lathe. I've looked at the Sieg ones - the SC3 and suchlike look like what I'm thinking of.

But the reviews are so variable- some say they're OK, others say they're rubbish and so on - that I really don't know what to think.

What do others think? What would be a good beginner's lathe for working wood and soft metals? I've got plenty of HSS cutting tools inherited from my Father in Law (pity he didn't have the lathe as well!).

I know that there would be a bit of a problem with the differing speeds needed for metals versus wood, but I suppose a variable speed lathe would solve that.

As for cost, the SC3 would be about the limit that I would be prepared to spend, though of course it might all turn out to be a nine day wonder, so if a less expensive option were on offer, I'd be happy to know.

and finally, please don't suggest that I go to a woodturning club to see if I like it - I'm not a club joiner.

You are probably looking on the wrong part of the forum but as it happens I do pretty much what you indicate is your area of interest. I suggest that you look for a second-hand Myford Super 7 which is what I use for most of the turning I do in Steel, Brass, Alum or a variety of hard-woods.

Thanks J-G.

Indeed, a Super 7 would fit the bill admirably - but for the fact that I haven't the room for one. I'm looking for something small and bench-mounted that can be pushed aside when not in use.

The Super 7 will have to wait until the next time....

Martin.

Might be better to post your query in the Metalworking section.
While the Super 7 is probably the gold standard for amateurs (unless they've got room for a Boxford or Colchester!) you probably pay for the name. For the sort of stuff you are talking about, something smaller and cheaper (like the Siegs) would almost certainly be more than adequate.

Thanks Dick.

Yes, I think for my purposes and for the room available, something Sieg-like would fit the bill.

Is there some way for me to move my posting to the metalworking section or do I have to start over, do you know?

Martin.

MJP":227jg5vw said:
Indeed, a Super 7 would fit the bill admirably - but for the fact that I haven't the room for one. I'm looking for something small and bench-mounted that can be pushed aside when not in use.
I didn't think I had the room for mine - especially since I already had an ML7, a Pillar drill, A Gear Hobber, a Band Saw, a Router Table and a Clark wood lathe - but since then I've also added a Chop Saw and a Warco Milling machine !! :)

If you are anything like me, you will soon want to work on a project which takes your equipment . ...just beyond... . its limit, so if you can re-measure the space you have and squeeze a Super 7 in it would be well worth while.

Mine is on its own stand of course but is not bolted down so can be 'nudged' out of the way when necessary.

Stop it now, J-G - we're talking serious acquisition inflation here!

I might be able to smuggle a Sieg in past SWMBO but an ML7?

Martin.

Its basic man-maths. You can justify anything if you have the room for it. (I've just bought a lovely little horizontal mill - no current job for it, but it was cheap, there's room at work for it and one glorious day, I will need it and it will get me out of the poo!)

MJP":ohbm30x4 said:
Stop it now, J-G - we're talking serious acquisition inflation here!
:D :D
MJP":ohbm30x4 said:
I might be able to smuggle a Sieg in past SWMBO but an ML7?

Ah... I do have an advantage
... no SWMBO !!

Oh, in certain circumstances that could indeed be a significant advantage!

Don't think I'd swap mine for a Super Seven though...

Looks like I'm going to have to start again in the metalworking section with my query unless a mod can transfer this over for me?

Please? Pretty please?

Martin.

If it helps at all, my own Chinese mini lathe has been nothing but a source of great pleasure, satisfaction, and huge usefulness. Always wanted a lathe and it's been one of those "how on earth did I manage without it?" type purchases.

Mine is not a Sieg but was sold under the Einhell badge (Germany) but was actually made by, I believe, a competitor of Sieg's called "Red Dog" or something similar.

My lathe did need a bit of prep, and mods such as a better cover for the ON/OFF switch, QC tool post and QR tailstock (instead of the fiddly nut and bolt idea).

I believe some at least of the Sieg accessories fit mine (and vice-versa) and also believe that the majority of bad reviews are from the early days (at least 10 years ago?) when Chinese QC was, at best "minimal" - BAD assembly, casting sand left in the works, covered in "chicken fat", etc. But according to all I've read/heard, the Chinese have certainly tightened up their act these days, especially if buying from a recognised UK source.

You'll find Arc Euro Trade an invaluable source of both info and sensibly-priced accessories - see link in the sticky at the top of the Metal Working section here - usual disclaimers from me. The 2 books they sell on mini lathes are especially helpful if you're starting from scratch, and their web site also has a long sticky about prepping the lathes.

O.K. this will NOT even come close to a Myford for example, and certainly not a Colchester and the other big boys noted above, but the budget IS "sensible" and provided you allow for the lack of rigidity that is inherent in a comparatively light weight machine (mine sits on a small wheeled bench) the price/performance ratio IF used carefully, and with a bit of knowledge, will well repay the investment if you want to get into this. P.S. Re budget, allow AT LEAST the initial cost of the machine itself for "accessories" such as tooling, chucks, centres, steadies, etc, etc. But if buying SH that comment probably does not apply.

I even use mine for some general wood turning (NOT bowls) - don't tell the purists please!

In short, current Chinese Mini-lathes are IMO highly recommended, and a "sensibly-priced" way into workshop machining with brand new equipment - though note, if you wait long enough, SH buys often improve the cost/use ratio, IF you can find out exactly what you're buying before parting with the hard-earned.

HTH (& encourages!)

AES

P.S. I do NOT KNOW this Martin, but as the OP, you MAY be able to cut and paste the whole of this thread, cutting it out of this present section and pasting it into the MW section. Worth a try - save the lot into Word or something before you try, that way you won't loose anything.

Good luck.

Thanks AES.

This is most encouraging - I'm wanting to buy a lathe "just because", which isn't the best of reasons, so I'm not really up to filling the space with a Myford or suchlike.

In addition, access to my workshop is tricky - I would have to carry/drag the lathe part way, so again a Mini Lathe sounds a better bet.

Looking around, I've naturally drifted up in price (don't we all?) and been drooling over a Warco WM180 but again, bearing in mind that I might use the lathe for five minutes then lose interest, I think a Sieg/Einhell would make more sense.

I've come across Arc Euro and would certainly buy from someone like that rather than some fly by night seller on ebay, for example.

I'll try C&Ping into the metalworking section later today - no idea if it'll work, not much good at that kind of thing, but nothing to lose!

Thanks again for your advice - it's appreciated.

Martin.

My pleasure Martin - but I can assure you, it'll take a LOT more than 5 minutes for you to get bored with the whole thing - even if you've only got the attention span of a gnat!!

Like anything else in this "hobby-bodging" game, you'll find it very absorbing, and going up the learning curve until you're able to, for example, repair a broken part on a tool - or even better, on a piece of kitchen equipment - MAX brownie points scored then - is really something of a great feeling, even if it turns out afterwards that you could have bought the part for a fiver on e-bay.

Those 2 books on the mini lathe, a search around on this Forum, and a visit or two to the Model Engineering web site (link also on the sticky at the top of the MW section) will probably hook you for life.

Good luck

AES

P.S. It looks like your pretty please has been answered - it looks to me as if you ARE now in the MW section.

Again, thanks AES.

Yes, the Forum Gods have answered my prayer and moved me - Excellent!

I have played about a bit with full sized industrial lathes years ago in a past life, and can well remember how fulfilling it was to reveal a finished item from a piece of bar, so I guess it'll keep me happy for a good while.

Yes, I came across the Model Engineering website earlier today - another one to waste time on instead of working!

I'm looking at the Amadeal CJ18A now, narrowing things down. I'll make my mind up eventually.

This is a downward path to poverty, I strongly suspect.....

Martin.

What about an ML10? Got mine for £500 plus about another £500 for loads of tools for it. Myfordboy on Youtube uses one, so check out his vids to see what it can do.

Hi Niagra - thanks for pointing this out.

That's a nice machine, looks far closer to my needs than a Seven. I'll add it to the list of possibles.

More research to be done.

Martin.

I was in a similar quandry maybe ten years ago - I wanted (rather than needed!) a small benchtop engineering lathe, and was confused by the conflicting reviews of the Chinese machines. I also looked at the ML10, but they seemed few and far between and I was nervous about buying a S/H machine. No doubt there are good un's out there at reasonable prices, but there are also dogs which people try to sell on, trading on the cachet of the Myford name. Caveat emptor.

I eventually bought a new Proxxon PDF400, which is has roughly the same specs as the C3, but costs 3x more. It's nicely made, but if I had my time again, knowing what I do now, I'd go for a C3 and save myself ££s. Some of the reviews on t'internet refer to early models - my impression is that Sieg et al have upped their game over recent years. I now have a generic 12x36 Chinese job bought a couple of years ago, and it's been fine.

Rob.

An excellent contribution Rob, which reinforces what others have said - basically, a present-day Sieg clone is probably OK.
Bearing in mind that an old Sieg may not be as sound as a new one, I think you've finally made my mind up - unless a real bargain pops up second hand in the next few weeks that justifies taking a risk with an old one, it will be a new SC3 of one form or another.
Thanks again!

Martin.

If you haven't already bought a copy of 'The Amateur's Lathe' by L.H. Sparey I recommend you do so.

Have you looked at Tony Griffiths' website - www.lathes.co.uk yet ? Again a valuable resource and the advice on buying a lathe is well worth a read. 'For Sale' section there too, which may have something to interst you.

Personally I would recommend you go for a "golden oldie" rather than a modern lathe.
The modern ones tend to be more lightly built and run at higher speeds. Without a 'Back Gear' (which seems to be missiong on a lot of the small modern lathes) you will struggle to do such jobs as cutting threads and winding springs.

Back