What materials should I use to build a "Nail Bar"?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gary S

Established Member
Reaction score
Morning all,

I've been commissioned (well, asked nicely!) to build a "Nail Bar" for a friend who's opening up her own hairdressing salon. Essentially a Nail Bar is like a raised desk that has a beautician on one side and one / two clients on the other having their nails done. (Just in case you don't know what one is...!).

It is going to be a curved counter top which needs to be white and quite tough / easy to clean. Any suggestions for the best type of material to use? I'm a bit stuck: a kitchen worktop won't be the correct size and would probably look a bit naff. Using 2 sheets of 18mm MDF glued together would work, but then how could I get a great finish that is also strong enough to take daily use?

The base needs to be curved in the same way as the counter top - I was thinking of building a framework and using 'bendy MDF' around it. Finishing this is easier because it doesn't need to be as tough and durable as the counter top.

Now beginning to wish I hadn't agreed to help...!!

Quick rough sketch is shown below in case my description wasn't good enough.

Any advice or suggestions will be gratefull received (unless the advice is "Don't do it"!!).

Cheers

Gary

NailBar.jpg

(Just wondering why I added the steps to the diagram...?!)

Jason

Corian and most solid surface materials include acrylics which are attacked by acetone (acetone and MEK can be used to solvent weld the material), so I think that they are possibly out of the question. How about either a laminated MDF/chipboard to with hardwood lippings applied before the laminate is affixed? Good quality HPL (high pressure laminate) such as Formica is is relatively unaffected by acetone - in fact Formica specifically state that nail varnish can be removed from their laminates using and organic solvent (e.g. acetone nail varnish remover). The hardwood would ideally need to be waxed as the acetone will strip most finishes, from oil to lacquers.

Scrit

Scrit - thanks for the response. I don't know much about Formica - can you get it in different colours and is it a 'shiny' finish? If so are you suggesting to use it as a laminate on top of a veneered board? I don't quite understand why you would go with a laminate MDF then laminate on top of the laminate?

I think I'm being a bit dim and missing something...

Cheers

Gary

Hi,

As far as I can see, you have misunderstood the two uses of the word laminate.
In this context, the above poster is saying to LAMINATE (verb) two pieces together (glue to sheets ontop of each other for extra thickness / rigidity) then place a laminate ontop, a laminate (noun) is a thin layer, formica being an example.

Hope this helps,

Sam

High pressure laminate (formicaetc) come in many colours both solid and patterned and come gloss or matt. and in 10x4ft sheets. Remember to apply a balancer to the underside.

Have a look at this for an idea of costs. I recently used pre laminate covered ply from this supplier for all the horizontal surfaces in a bar carcase.

Jason

Back