What height ?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mumble

Established Member
Reaction score
In the process of getting a new lathe so another re-design of the man cave needed. The question is what is the ideal height for a lathe?

Should I be able to hold the tool into the hip? (If so to me it feels a bit low)

Yes, I've found that best - lathe centre at one's normal elbow height when using it.

A lot depends upon yourself (age, any back problems etc.) and what you find as a comfortable stance, my machine is some 80mm or so above the 'norm' of elbow height.

Reason, I can stand more upright for most tasks and avoids back discomfort that I get when it's lower and have to keep bending over to look inside pieces etc. (swivel head machine is a boon in this respect)

It does alter the tool presentation angles but again it's what is most comfortable for you and feels natural, does not stop you using body support and swing, may alter the tool nose angles and wings but once again it's what works for you and they will probably be different to mine or your mates anyway.

So my take on it is to start off at the 'norm' of elbow height but with the option to raise the bench/stand whatever on blocks if needed to relieve stance discomfort.

CHJ":cv8qpj2x said:
A lot depends upon yourself (age, any back problems etc.) and what you find as a comfortable stance, my machine is some 80mm or so above the 'norm' of elbow height.

Like Chas mine is above elbow height but not for the same reason well not when I put it there.
I already had benches built a little higher than a normal as it was not used originally for woodworking. So as I progressed from one hobby to another (many moons ago) I could not be bothered to remove all of the equipment to lower it if I had lowered it could not fit all the stuff underneath that I do now.
And even starting with the lathe at a higher level do not find it hard to use the tools so find a starting point and work from that as many say elbow height is the best to go with any lower will make it uncomfortable.

Mine is 45½'' to centre, which is pretty much my elbow height (although I'm sure they didn't know that when they built it).

I always recommend 2 inches above the elbow height recommendation. That way if too high you can put duck boards down to raise your height and you don't have to worry about how to raise the lathe if too low in the first place. There is nothing worse than a lathe too low.

Latest posts

Back