We really shouldn't have to do this to new power tools ...

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Phil Pascoe

Established Member
UKW Supporter
Reaction score
DSCN2239.JPG

My new Metabo sander. Notice the cable tie? I haven't used it yet, and I've knocked the dust box off at least half a dozen times - it slides on with no catch or clip. Perfect if you never need it any other than horizontal.

DSCN2241.JPG

My nearly new jigsaw. Notice the cable tie? Without the tie the sole plate drifts out of square within seven or eight inches of starting a cut. I'm debating sending it back as it is beginning to drift even when tied, although it's a design fault not a manufacturing one so I'd only get another the same if it were exchanged. It would appear to work on a cam, so I'll probably end up taking it to bits ... which I'm loath to as it has a three year guarantee.

Attachments

• DSCN2239.JPG
    DSCN2239.JPG
    125.5 KB · Views: 1,682
  • DSCN2241.JPG
    DSCN2241.JPG
    128.9 KB · Views: 1,682
You can buy silver ones to hold you hubcaps on as well.
Not that you should need them!

Pete

how are they going to sell the next level of tool to you if the level you've bought works without issue?

sales rep "ah well you only bought the prosumer level of tool, for the sort of work your doing you really need the professional range"

novocaine":14sl9xv4 said:
how are they going to sell the next level of tool to you if the level you've bought works without issue?

sales rep "ah well you only bought the prosumer level of tool, for the sort of work your doing you really need the professional range"

They come with a cable tie!

Pete

Don't know about Metabo but DeWalt (Black & Decker) invest bigly in Research & Development and have a team of mad inventor types who thrive on this sort of thing. I'm sure they would be very interested in this problem and hopefully keen to keep you on board. Their Head office number in Slough is 01753 567055. I'd give them a ring.

Paul

Paul200":2g1i0syg said:
Don't know about Metabo but DeWalt (Black & Decker) invest bigly

ok - so at first I was amused, but then I looked it up and it's actually a word. :lol: :lol: :lol:

Paul200":3hwjb0hf said:
Don't know about Metabo but DeWalt (Black & Decker) invest bigly in Research & Development and have a team of mad inventor types who thrive on this sort of thing. I'm sure they would be very interested in this problem and hopefully keen to keep you on board. Their Head office number in Slough is 01753 567055. I'd give them a ring.

Paul
Dewalt aren't interested in fixing this problem. They have known about it for years and haven't changed the design one bit. They used to be the best manufacturer of power tools but now I just equate them as just a big box shifter. Just look at the bearings on their DW625 router. Made in India and absolute rubbish. My local bearing supplier said they would be hard pushed to buy anything cheaper and more rubbish than the ones they fit to that as standard. For the sake of another few quid they could fit SKF or other quality bearings and have a quality tool. Still must be the accountants making all the decisions instead of the design engineers. Not a very good sign indeed. The market would easily bear another tenner added to the price if users knew they wouldn't have to replace the bearings after a few hours. Festool manage to combine good design with good parts and charge a premium price, so why cant Dewalt!

Mike

Aah right. They've gone down the usual corporate route then. My comment was based on 20+ years in the power tool game, but which I left behind a wee while ago. That's sad. I met the mad inventors a couple of times and admired their enthusiasm - doubt they would even want to work for the organisation DeWalt seems to have become.

I think I can see your problem phil. Those "powertools" of which you speak are the wrong colour. I find black and green ones tend to not need gaffer taping or cable tying together...

Woodmonkey":uca6mxwa said:
I think I can see your problem phil. Those "powertools" of which you speak are the wrong colour. I find black and green ones tend to not need gaffer taping or cable tying together...

Oh cr*p here we go; duck everyone.

Back