Union Jubilee owners, Chuck experience and advice request

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dirtyepic

Established Member
Reaction score
hello,

i have been messing about with bits a wood for a few years now and have had a go at a few things. recently my interest has been sparked by making some stools and large wooden vessels.

so after a fair bit of looking and stalking of ebay i purchased a union jubilee. it had some faults and foibles, but i think we are through them now, and short of a rewire to three phase motor with an inverter i am happy with it.

I have had a go at a couple of bowls now, and other than my poor tool control/lack of correct grind by me on the tool, they turned out ok. However i have been glueing an extra piece on the base of the blank. it is not an ideal method for me and i would rather secure the work piece in a chuck.

So to my question. if you have a jubilee, what chuck are you using? and have you got separate units for left and right hand threads? or do you have something that takes inserts?

any advice or experiences welcomed.

thanks

chris

Hi Chris,
I've just completely rebuilt two Union Jubilee's and was short of the outboard faceplates, which are difficult to find at a decent price, so I have gone down the chuck route.
So I have just ordered a Robert Sorby Patriot chuck for my Union Jubilee as a result of advice from my very experienced friends. I ordered it with left and right hand thread converters - 1" 10 TPI. This allows you to use it on both sides.
Got it from Turners Retreat, who I found to be very helpful. It comes with 50mm Dovetail jaws and screw chuck.

I have also gone down the Sorby route for tool rests as I was having difficult in getting originals. I suggest you look at their modular range which have the optional 1' stems.

Only thing left for me to find is two tool rest locking handles. I think the thread is 1/2" 12TPI. I can get hold of some of these bolts and make them I guess, but I would prefer originals if anyone can help.
Hope this helps.
Bob

hello,

Thanks for the advice, i have been lucky with this one then as it came with a 10 inch outboard face plate, two large and two small tool rests. as well as a number of inboard face plates and screw drives.

i had a look at the sorby chuck, and it looked to be a very nice but if kit. however the £176 price tag surprised me. i had been looking into the recorcd SC4 as the inserts are compatible with the jubilee, and for the £119 it came with a bit more kit. but have no experience of either i bow to that. just need to save a little longer.

Back