turning wood

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

woodfarmer

Established Member
Reaction score
I get most of my turning wood from the firewood pile or sometimes will buy part of a tree that takes my fancy so I have no idea of the value or turning wood. I may soon have 3 or 4 short Yew planks about 60-62 cm long and the same width by about 100mm thick. Not sure what I could do with them or of their value. Any suggestions?

A 60 cm diameter bowl might be impressive but no idea where I would put it. Seems a shame to cut them into four by 30cm squares. Maybe a coffee table ???

would appreciate ideas

Leave it as is until you can think of something. If you do decide t make bowls then mark it out to get the most from it. A coffee table will be good as well as long as the wood is dry, remember that wood that is as thick as this my not be as dry as a 2" thick piece. Do not be tempted to cut into smaller pieces as you may regret it as i said until the decision is made as to what you do eventually make.
Forgot to mention if turning it into bowl blanks draw circles as you may find that you can get more from it than cutting into square blanks

Yep wait till you have made your mind up. I have just turned a Yew bowl, it is a hard wood but the pattens are awesome.

Back