Turning is Heaven in 2011

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thanks George, the mastering of getting the fit good enough with basic shop tools does give a bit more satisfaction than just turning out another lump of wood, guess it's my technical/engineering background coming out rather than art.
Folks will probably be sick of seeing the swirls long before I get bored with doing them.

This mornings spin.
DSCN3010.JPG
DSCN3009.JPG

Beech and Walnut, 200mm diameter.

Attachments

• DSCN3010.JPG
    DSCN3010.JPG
    93.2 KB · Views: 805
  • DSCN3009.JPG
    DSCN3009.JPG
    92.1 KB · Views: 804
I want a little box about 2" high and 3" round and it must have a Yew lid. Just plain sides.
Hmmm. might just have a couple of bits of your wood that might do.
DSCN3012.JPG
DSCN3013.JPG

Attachments

• DSCN3012.JPG
    DSCN3012.JPG
    85.8 KB · Views: 778
  • DSCN3013.JPG
    DSCN3013.JPG
    87.7 KB · Views: 777
Lightweeder":8mqk9gy2 said:
I see you're getting the hang of it then, Chas ? :wink

Starting to become a little easier LW, if I can get my head round picking the easier bits of wood to bash seven bells out of I might just take up this spinning lark as a hobby.

Something a bit different in form.
DSCN3014.JPG
DSCN3015.JPG

Beech and Walnut, 220mm dia.

Attachments

• DSCN3014.JPG
    DSCN3014.JPG
    82.5 KB · Views: 876
  • DSCN3015.JPG
    DSCN3015.JPG
    56.2 KB · Views: 875
Hi Chas

I have been going back through this thread and your work is always of a very high standard.

Lovely to see. Your segmented boxes are great and I love the bee hive shaped holder. In fact it is all lovely work.

Thank you Mark, all my bits are of a utilitarian nature with not a great deal of artistic merit, but I like to take pride in finish, that being at least one aspect I might get credit for.

Hi Chas

This is the great thing about turning, some like making utility items some not. What I enjoy is seeing the varied skills that people use and the items they make.

You can see that you take great pride in what you make and I enjoy looking at them. I have looked loads of times but never seem to comment so thought I aught to.

Looking forward to your next pieces.

Down sizing a bit on this one and the next half dozen following a few requests.
Walnut and Oak 95mm dia.
DSCN3018.JPG
DSCN3019.JPG

Attachments

• DSCN3018.JPG
    DSCN3018.JPG
    80.2 KB · Views: 814
  • DSCN3019.JPG
    DSCN3019.JPG
    85.2 KB · Views: 814
Just another to add to the collection.
Oak and Walnut, 95mm dia.
DSCN3021.JPG
DSCN3022.JPG

Attachments

• DSCN3021.JPG
    DSCN3021.JPG
    92.8 KB · Views: 793
  • DSCN3022.JPG
    DSCN3022.JPG
    97.1 KB · Views: 793
CHJ":e6ml27ez said:
Just another to add to the collection.
Oak and Walnut, 95mm dia.

I especially like the last two boxes as the colour gels for me better than some. As always, the workmanship is stunning but sometimes, especially when yew is involved, mixed with other woods, I feel that there is a mismatch in tone.

Just a nitpick of course. I expect its because my back hurts and I am jealous as I can't get to the lathe for at least another three weeks :(

Your engineering background certainly shows in the precision and the care taken over the finish. My brother in law was a design engineer and he drives me barmy with his treble checking everything and then doing it again just to be sure.

Me grasshopper.

However, I appreciate thats why we have stuff that actually works. Engineers are under appreciated and under valued I reckon.

gus3049":5lt5kp6f said:
.....I especially like the last two boxes as the colour gels for me better than some. .... but sometimes, especially when yew is involved, mixed with other woods, I feel that there is a mismatch in tone.

Unfortunately the contrast or complimentary colour blend aimed at does not always show until the finish is applied, and as that's some way down the production line it's too late to do much about it in most cases. Just have to try and remember for next time, then of course the other law of luck comes in to play and the next sample of wood looks totally different when finished.

On top of that the reflected light when photographing tells totally different stories to what the naked eye sees.
In the last piece for instance the top looks almost black in comparison with the side sections in the image, but in practice, although a shade darker it is a near match for the side inserts when the light is hitting them from an obtuse angle. And the lid looks a shade lighter when viewed straight on.

Another little Pot sans Lid.

Walnut and Oak, 115mm. dia.
DSCN3024.JPG

Attachments

• DSCN3024.JPG
    DSCN3024.JPG
    85.9 KB · Views: 743
That's that little batch finished.
DSCN3025.JPG
DSCN3026.JPG

Walnut and Oak 110mm. dia.
DSCN3027.JPG
DSCN3028.JPG

Walnut and Oak 95mm. dia.
DSCN3029.JPG
DSCN3030.JPG

Walnut and Oak 95mm. dia.

Attachments

• DSCN3025.JPG
    DSCN3025.JPG
    109.7 KB · Views: 711
  • DSCN3026.JPG
    DSCN3026.JPG
    97.9 KB · Views: 710
  • DSCN3027.JPG
    DSCN3027.JPG
    108.5 KB · Views: 711
  • DSCN3029.JPG
    DSCN3029.JPG
    105.3 KB · Views: 710
  • DSCN3030.JPG
    DSCN3030.JPG
    107 KB · Views: 710
  • DSCN3028.JPG
    DSCN3028.JPG
    112.6 KB · Views: 700
They do keep going out of the door in 2's and 3's, seem to be favourites as xmas gifts.
Will have to go some to keep up with the wood supply though,
DSCN3032 (Large).JPG
DSCN3033 (Large).JPG

This lot was dropped off today just in case I had a use for it and an apology that "it's nearly all Walnut, Im afraid"

Attachments

• DSCN3032 (Large).JPG
    DSCN3032 (Large).JPG
    133.1 KB · Views: 700
  • DSCN3033 (Large).JPG
    DSCN3033 (Large).JPG
    87.5 KB · Views: 700
There are two things that I wish Chas. One that I had know this forum before I moved over here, because it would have helped me a lot and a lot earlier and two that I had known that you were just down the road from Butterow! I think that we could have got on quite well?

Is there any chance that you could do a WIP of a box or 2? I for one would love to know how to get the precision that you get in them. They are really lovely and so well made and finished.

As for Gordon? He will sober up in a few weeks and be back at us again soon! Get well soon mate!

I was told yesterday that I may need an op on my right hand? Just as well I'm ambidextrous with a glass :eek:ccasion5: :cry:

Edit: - Oh, and a skew!

Jonzjob":2cqa5g0b said:
.....Is there any chance that you could do a WIP of a box or 2? I for one would love to know how to get the precision that you get in them.

Like this you mean

Dependant upon the batch numbers and how I feel on the day the Cole Jaws may get an airing instead of the glue blocks for the base and top preparation.

When I'm into a batch then the rough turned bases and tops just get clamped up off the lathe,
DSCN3017 (Medium).jpg
the box bases have a dovetail socket for mounting for 90% of the turning and finishing, with a final location on the box opening to remove the socket and finish the base. Done in batches so that chuck/jaw changes are kept to a minimum then finishing from glue up amounts to about 20 mins per item. Lids done in batches for the same reasons of limiting holding changes take about 10 mins each, most of that taking care to get fit matched to box with calipers.

Attachments

• DSCN3017 (Medium).jpg
    DSCN3017 (Medium).jpg
    75.9 KB · Views: 686
Back