plywood

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mock

Established Member
Reaction score
how can i tell the difference between marine ply and regular ply i have been given a sheet of plywood and they said they thought it was marine ply but i can,t see any marks on the ply saying marine ply
Alan

What's your definition of marine ply? It is a very over used name but doesn't really mean much on it's own.

When most people say marine ply they mean what was WBP ie plywood for exterior use, not for building boats (which has a 300% or so mark-up but a more stringent certification standard).

If it is clean and new enough, you should find markings on the edge stating its certification. If it is relatively new there should be two markings starting with EN, EN636 is the wood it is constructed from, EN314 is the glue. Each should then have a -suffix of 1, 2 or 3. The 1 suffix means interior only, the 2 means more tolerant of humidity/damp and the 3 means for exterior usage. These EU standards are a bit more sophisticated and useful than the rather naive BS for WBP which concentrated only on the glue-line and ignored the fact the plies could be made of something like birch (or cork-bark). -3 is the WBP (or in the colloquial 'marine') equivalent.

If its old and raggedy you probably won't be able to tell from markings, but if the glueline is a dark red-brown it will likely be phenol/resorcinol which is the usual WBP adhesive. As to plies, you are on your own but being a tropical brown colour and tight and hard grain is good, even better if makes you sneeze when you cut it (on the probably rubbish theory that bad for you is bad for all organisms).

I didn't know there was any stamps on marine ply? I do know that the difference between marine ply and standard hardwood ply is that the adhesive is offers more protection against marine bacteria but as far as i'm aware thats the only difference?

Lloyds certified BS1088 marine plywood has rules about durability of timber, absence of voids etc as well as type of adhesive. I have no idea whether it has a stamp on the edge of it, as I have never bought any due to not owning a hole in the water into which to throw money. I imagine at the price it will have BS1088 markings on it to distinguish it but happy to to be corrected.

Panels conforming to BS 1088 should be indelibly marked on the back or edge with the following information in the order shown:

1) The number and date of the British Standard "BS 1088-1:2003" and the word "MARINE"
2) The word "UNBALANCED" if panels are of unbalanced construction
3) The word "TREATED" if there has been any application of preservative treatment
4) The nominal panel thickness
5) The manufacturers name or ID mark
6) The country of manufacture
7) The panel type (Standard (S) or Lightweight (LW))
8 ) The name of the timber species according to BS EN 350-2:1994

... apparently.

http://www.ttf.co.uk/article/marine-ply ... s-137.aspx

Yes don't think it gets that in reality. We built a boat some years back and there was some info stamped on the sheets but all that would cover half of it haha. OP if the sheets have no mark at all best to presume it's not marine ply.

If you look on an edge of the thicker stuff it is surprising what they can get on their 8 or 10 ft.

Back