Newbie shed made out of pallets

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dayc78

Reaction score
Hello I'm planning on making a shed out of pallets one to cut down on cost and second to test myself the size of the shed will be 17ft x 8ft few questions
1.should I treat the pallets?
2.is it ok to plaster board the inside?
3.I want to insulate it with polystyrene that I can get from work, would this cause any sort of condensation?

Thank you in advance oh yeah I'm planning on using it as a gym

How are you planning on using the boards? Most sheds use some form of "join" to allow the upper board to overlap the lower. Shiplap, Feather edge etc. You'll have to process every board to achieve this. If you don't then water will get between the planks. I would have thought polystyrene would be good for insulation but others may have more knowledge on this.

If it's water tight then plasterboard should also be ok.

I assume you have a large free supply of pallets? Pallets would seem like a good way of making a lot of extra work for yourself. I built something similar for our spa recently and bought shiplap and I can't imagine having to work from pallet sized wood. You'll have to try and get your uprights so that pallet boards fit perfectly or you'll waste a lot of wood cutting the boards down.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hi thanks for the reply

I'm planning on using the full pallet not stripping it down then Osb board the outside the clad it not sure with what yet though definitely not feather edge.

Going to build it on a concrete slabout base
Would I need to put a breathable membrane between the Osb board and the cladding?

Your second post puts things in a very different light to the first. It would be worth detailing all your plans from start to finish on here so the best possible advice can be offered. Plenty of people on here have built their own workshops from scratch so there's no shortage of knowledge, it's just a matter of what the specific question and context is :).

If you're using OSB on the outside and then cladding that and plaster board on the inside then I'm not sure what the pallets are for? To be honest the OSB isn't needed if you're cladding it. I built my spa house with shiplap boards for the outside and MRMDF to lunge and groove pattern for the inside. I didn't bother with insulation as you don't really need to insulate a hot tub!

You'll need full length uprights for strength so I don't see why you need pallets at all? Unless I've missed something?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I think he's considering using palettes for the structure? In which case, I'd recommend against it. Whilst an individual palette can take a decent load, it's connecting them together which will be the weak points

Back