hardwood costs : what am i likely to need to pay?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Homerjh

Established Member
Reaction score
been looking around and getting confused as some charge a cost on cubic feet, some list the cost only...

anyhow, looking at oak and probably some other contrasting wood for some experimentation, oak will be scrollsawn, and i can plane it by hand if rough sawn is only available.

my only experience is the B&Q oak which is about 42cm by 25cm and 25mm and that was £9 which i am assuming is quite expensive.

looking at somewhere around 15mm thick and 25mm thick, width probably minimum of 15cm ad length not an issue as will trim to size.

so in all of your experiences what would this generally cost on average , say for a 1.8m length?

undergroundhunter":81fhil4a said:
I recently bought a nice piece of oak, 8' long, 8" wide and a full inch thick (rough sawn) and it cost me £20.

Matt

Was that somewhere local to Donny?

Homerjh":2za71tpy said:
oak will be scrollsawn

I know zip about scrollsawing so maybe I'm talking out of my backside. But I'd have guessed you'd want a fairly fine grained, mild working timber. Oak is course grained and quite brittle, so prone to spelching. American Cherry or Sycamore are two mild, fine grained timbers that are affordable, widely available, and might give better results.

Good luck!

oak cuts nicely, blade does get warm but very little tearout at the backend, and easily sanded to remove any off bits, also oak can get a good finish without any major work required.

ta for the suggestion, may try it if i can get a piece..

Homerjh":3c7tyiux said:
been looking around and getting confused as some charge a cost on cubic feet, some list the cost only...

anyhow, looking at oak and probably some other contrasting wood for some experimentation, oak will be scrollsawn, and i can plane it by hand if rough sawn is only available.

my only experience is the B&Q oak which is about 42cm by 25cm and 25mm and that was £9 which i am assuming is quite expensive.

looking at somewhere around 15mm thick and 25mm thick, width probably minimum of 15cm ad length not an issue as will trim to size.

so in all of your experiences what would this generally cost on average , say for a 1.8m length?

Just a thought, if for experimenting and shorter lengths ok I'd suggest you look around for some local hardwood flooring fitters who throw away oak t&g offcuts, often surprisingly big pieces. These are usually 18mm thick by at least 120mm wide and though back is normally grooved / relieved you'd easily get 15mm thick finished out of it.
I have loads from my fitting days and it's very useful material.

You could even be cheeky and trawl around the suppliers for samples FOC and they often have end of range packs for sale pretty cheap. Vast majority is oak but quite a variety of other woods available these days.

Homer
You aren't too far from British Hardwoods
Just returned from there with this
Not what you are after I know; while I was there they let me loose in their off-cuts bin

Today was mostly oak , so I chucked 30 kilos in the boot - a sign says off-cuts £1.50 per Kilo which is decent value imho

Charge was £43.50 and they let me have an extra piece [4 ft x 6 inch x 1 inch] for free; quite good that as they are in Yorshire :lol:

Best not to arrive at lunch-time; or late afternoon

Got just over three meters of planed American oak for a tad over 32 quid, 20mm thick and 12cm wide so got that to play with.

Have to learn the lingo as I asked about getting 25mm and said that wasn't possible without using a thicker plank that would have loads of waste and cost more.

That was from Richard potters and seems the going rate, but without the 20£ postage places charge

Back