Extending a compressor

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MattRoberts

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi all, I'm considering getting a long hose to extend my compressor by running the house up the wall and into the middle of the ceiling. I can then connect a flexi house to that central point in the ceiling. Total extension distance would probably be about 6-8 metres.

Has anyone else done this? Would there be any issues with a significant decrease in pressure?

Thanks for any tips

Pressure won't be affected, it will be fine. I would highly recommend a self retracting hose mounted in a good location, don't know how I lived before I got mine.

No pressure drop but may be a flow reduction

I guess the use of the word "house" is an error but if you are running compressed air outside I would use 1/2" galvanised iron pipe.

Myfordman":17wvxqyq said:
I guess the use of the word "house" is an error but if you are running compressed air outside I would use 1/2" galvanised iron pipe.

I am planning on running an airline around my work shop, was originally put off this method as thought i would perhaps need to hire a large pipe threader etc, to be honest i never really looked into it properly but is there a more simple way of doing it?

adidat

adidat":3w579cae said:
Myfordman":3w579cae said:

I am planning on running an airline around my work shop, was originally put off this method as thought i would perhaps need to hire a large pipe threader etc, to be honest i never really looked into it properly but is there a more simple way of doing it?

adidat

John Guest nylon push fit

http://www.toolstation.com/shop/Power+T ... ipe/p33953

I have this in a joinery workshop, about a 75m run, with about a dozen outlets. It has never leaked or needed repair in 5 years.

I did 22mm for main run and 15mm for drops and conbections to machines.

Im sure quite a few people use water push fit as its much cheaper. I do have one 15mm length done in this and it works fine with no leaks, but water push fit isnt designed to take the higher pressure so there always a risk of it blowing.

Jake":1njus0ot said:
Copper is easier (but more expensive) if you can plumb.

All the production air lines at the factory I used to work in were done in ordinary 15, 22 and 28mm copper.

I think, though, that it was mainly because it was quick to install and alter when the production lines were moved or altered. And it was only for running air screwdrivers (Desoutter, etc.), so more pressure than volume.

Back