Mitre saw Bosch GCM 10 SD

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Stevebod

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi all, anybody.

Looking to upgrade my aged mitre saw. Have been looking for ages and I am now considering this one. A bit above my original budget of £300, but seems to offer all I need. (10" double bevel. Amazon reviews look good, just wondering if anybody had one and would you recommend?

Thanks

I have the GCM 8 SJL which is similar. Overall quality is good. Quality of cut is OK with stock blade but stick a freud in and it's a different beast. Sacrificial fence and false table helps massively too. Tables were flat, fence was flat, dust extraction so so (isn't it always on mitre saws). Bit of duct tape around the extraction hoods helped. Typically, accuracy is spot on at 90, bevel not as good, mitre are almost spot on but not quite (+/- 0.05 I estimate). It depends on a few things as you know.

I've been happy with it. I'd love to try the glide versions though. Only the 12" is available in the UK at the moment sadly. As usual the Americano's get the new stuff before we do. If i was buying now I might be tempted to ask bosch when the glide version of the smaller saws is coming here.

Hello,

I have the GCM 10 SD and love it. I don't think you can go wrong with one. I am quite brand loyal to Bosch, though, but for good reason, I never found their tools to be lacking in any way.

Mike.

Thanks for the recommendations....love the "glide" version now I have seen it, but way over budget. I did have a peek at the smaller 8" one, probably a lot lighter, but no double bevel, and no front adjust for the tilt..so will probably go with original choice....anybody how "portable" it is..(looks heavy)?

My 8" saw is pretty heavy although it has a carry handle and slide can obviously be locked. I wouldn't want to be lugging it about constantly though.

Generally not that impressed with Charnwood stuff...a bit too "budget"..made in China. Seen them at shows and they just don't seem to have the build quality. Still looking like the Bosch at the mo...will try and find one to look at first..

Have you considered the Makita LS1018? It is double bevel, very accurate, has great capacity and mine has never let me down in the couple of years I've had it. I think it's available at around your budget too.

Hi,
..yes I did consider a Makita, but there was a really "damming" review posted on this forum somewhere recently suggesting they are of "variable" quality. I had a look at one in local shop and must say the "sliding travel" felt very "gritty"....so a bit put off Makita really.

Fair enough however you are likely to find "variable" quality in most saws at this price point and Bosch is certainly not immune to letting the odd lemon out of the factory! If I had to buy a replacement, I'd get another of the same. In my experience it has been excellent.

PS: Any of the sliding saws that ride on rails can feel gritty in travel if you let loads of crud into the sliding mechanism and fail to maintain it properly. I just give mine an occasional squirt of the same stuff I put on my kids bike chains and it works a treat.

memzey":3tljz1ce said:
Fair enough however you are likely to find "variable" quality in most saws at this price point and Bosch is certainly not immune to letting the odd lemon out of the factory! If I had to buy a replacement, I'd get another of the same. In my experience it has been excellent.

PS: Any of the sliding saws that ride on rails can feel gritty in travel if you let loads of crud into the sliding mechanism and fail to maintain it properly. I just give mine an occasional squirt of the same stuff I put on my kids bike chains and it works a treat.
It was also how the "fault" appeared to be dealt with by Makita that was part of the damning review if it's the same one I remember reading from Wood Monkey.

Back