Elektra beckum 260 P/T chip chute size?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lampy John

Reaction score
Hi

New member probably with a silly question (sorry)

I just picked up a second hand elektra beckum 260 P/T great machine, but it came with out the chip chute. Could anyone who has one send me the dimensions of it? I fancy having a go at making one. Or is this a really silly idea?

Many thanks

John

Lampy John":171z8b2r said:
Hi

New member probably with a silly question (sorry)

I just picked up a second hand elektra beckum 260 P/T great machine, but it came with out the chip chute. Could anyone who has one send me the dimensions of it? I fancy having a go at making one. Or is this a really silly idea?

Many thanks

John
The Metabo HC260C is a clone of the Electra Beckum, the chute could well be the exact same and size of the Electra Beckum. You would need to check before you went down that route. I think other manufactures have also made clones.

Metabos version also comes with a wheel kit for humping it around, quite well fit the Electra Beckum.

Hi,

Only just read your post

Is the missing part the chute that swings up onto the planer table when using the thicknesser

Or the secondary part that is used in conjunction with the chute. This is also used separately to extract the chips when using the planer

Both parts together for thicknessing

Hi hemsby

Thanks for the photos, it is both parts I'm missing and the fence! But have made a torsion box fence which sort of works. :|
Anything look a little tricky with both parts of the chip chute if I was having a go at making them?

Cheers

Hi John,

Just so happens I should finish my prototype (one piece) today (hammer) for a replacement chute for the thicknesser. I found the supplied 2 part arrangement suffered from choking with chippings, hopefully will post pics later today/tomorrow.

The chute for the planer table should be quite easy to make. When placed on the thicknesses table it has a location point and is held in place by gently raising the table to hold it in place.

Hemsby, given your excellent blade setting advice, I am looking forward GREATLY to your prototype. I'm poised to make one too, so don't dally! :D

Sam

Almost finished :eek: Needs a couple of internal angled side baffles to reduce the internal corners (hammer) .

It is held down in the same manner as the original using the blade guard.

It was important to ensure minimum side movement or the inside faces of the side plates could contact the edges of the blade block. To avoid this I made use of the two M8 spare holes in the casting.

The accessory/food tray :D :D is because I kept the angled deflector plate close to the rear of the cutter block for maximum forward projection of chippings this left exposed the serrated drive roller just right for a shirt sleeve or fingers #-o :cry: .

My final connection is just part of a Pan connector.

Drawing this first was a bit impractical as there are a number of gaps, angles and nooks & crannies so I just made it as I went along, no point in making it pretty if it was going to be U/S

It could be made more aesthetic

Hopefully tomorrow I will fit the angled baffles

Bee-you-oot! It's always good to see something made in 'the real world' with odds and ends and perhaps not "aesthetic". I think the beautifully staged and lit stuff in mags (particularly FWW) are so utopian, they create a false high standard. This was just straightforward, does the job, nice bit of work. =D> =D>

Sam

I did say this was a prototype :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops:

Fitted the angled baffles today proudly fixed my masterpiece to the machine, admired it :D then thought oh s--t no way to turn the handle to raise the table #-o the sides of my snack tray are in the way :cry: .

Removed the chute set the table height for a trial cut, fixed the chute back again without the vacuum. Worked perfectly, chippings hit the garage door a treat.

The bulk of the chute will be fine, think I have a way to modify it to accommodate the pesky handle.

Hopefully tomorrow

Hi John

Must apologize, it looks like I have tried to take over your original post and turn it into a WIP this was not my intention, no doubt if the moderator thinks it necessary it will be moved.

Technical handle issues now resolved :) . I will post the pics tomorrow, I need a sit down in a darkened room. Not sure how I missed the handle problem must be age.

It occurred to me should you like to try the chute that fits under the table with a view to making one I would be happy to post it to you it is very light. I can be without it for a while.

Hemsby

No need to apologise at all, It's great. I posted to ask for help and ideas everyone has replied with great info.
That's really nice of you to offer to send me the chute I will PM you.

I had no choice but to remove the corner of the unit (could not remove more as it is holding the base that acts as a guard) to allow the handle to operate which in turn snookered the use of the second screw hole #-o .
Also the free rotating aluminium bar which held the original chute had to stabilised, when loose it interfered with the feeding in of the timber, just a block attached to the underside of the new chute does the job.

With no other sensible location for a second screw or clip I fitted a location plate either side which stops the sideways movement and the use of just the one screw stops the fore and aft movement.

Worth considering the direction of the outlet connection, parallel to the table axis or at an angle so the discharge pipe is not hanging over the table end interfering with the outfeed of the timber

Looking at the original chute slot, remembering the chippings are then forced through the secondary chute before being ejected into the extraction hose it is not surprising that choking of the chippings can occur

Not wishing to disappoint any member, after great thought I modified the tray for storage :roll:

Finally the storage for the other chute is quite handy. This of course was planned :!: :!:

There could to be a bonus! the wooden chute seems to absorb a lot of the noise previously audible when using the thin plastic chute. Might even try some expanding foam in the voids adjacent to the baffles, could improve things further

There is a small gap under the chute at either end of the cutter block, this was impractical to eliminate during construction. It could easily be covered with a small piece of rubber, however during extensive field trials (hammer) (hammer) (hammer) they seemed not to be an issue.

Hemsby? First class job! =D> =D>

I would plead with you to not patent it just yet, so that I can copy it and use up some of my stash of nice ply. May I wonder out loud if a tinnie would fit INSIDE the pipe of the "other chute"? Purely from a stabilisation viewpoint you understand.... =P~

Thank you muchly, Sam

SammyQ":vboim8z6 said:
Hemsby? First class job! =D> =D>

I would plead with you to not patent it just yet, so that I can copy it and use up some of my stash of nice ply. May I wonder out loud if a tinnie would fit INSIDE the pipe of the "other chute"? Purely from a stabilisation viewpoint you understand.... =P~

Thank you muchly, Sam

Absolutely, with room for a Pork Pie & a packet of crisps :) :)

Back