Please recommend me a table saw blade for cutting wood

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RedMist

Established Member
Reaction score
A woodworking newbie (me) continues his journey with yet another question :)

I have a table saw (this one https://www.amazon.co.uk/Scheppach-8-inch-Sawbench-Sliding-Extension/dp/B00DOZYZQI ) that takes a 210 by 30 blade.

I want to cut (just) wood accurately with a clean smooth edge, across the grain as well as with the grain. Hopefully with no splintering or tearing at the edges.

My googling is making me think a crosscut blade and more teeth is better (80?).

Can anyone recommend me something good in the £10 to £20 ish range from any UK website? All help would be very much appreciated! :lol: :D

(also is there a difference between a circular saw blade and a table saw blade?)

If you want to do both rip and cross-cuts in solid timber with the same blade, you’ll want a ‘combination’ blade. For a 210mm diameter blade this will usually have 48 teeth. If you fit an 80 tooth blade you’ll struggle to rip anything as the sawdust won’t be cleared effectively and you’ll probably end up with burning and overload your saw.

To avoid splintering the back edge when crosscutting, place a sacrificial piece behind the work piece you’re cutting. You can also make your own ‘zero-clearance’ insert for your tablesaw which will reduce tear-out on the bottom face.

I think there isn’t really any difference between circular saw blades and tablesaw blades. Diameters of 210mm and below generally have a kerf thickness of 2.4mm, presumably because they’re either fitted to handheld circular saws or fairly low power tablesaws. A 254mm blade for a tablesaw will have a 3.2mm kerf. There are thinner kerf saw blades designed for use with cordless saws.

If you’re after a budget blade of reasonable quality, I’d recommend Saxton blades. I’ve had several of their 210mm 60tooth blade fitted to my mitre saw. As they’re so cheap I use them when fitting laminate flooring, which blunts blades quickly, and dispose of when they get too dull. If you want a slightly better quality blade go for a Freud. I couldn’t find a 210mm diameter one, but I have the 216mm 24tooth fitted to my Axminster TS200. I got it from Toolstation for about £25 I think. They do a 48tooth as well, but that’s about £40 if I remember correctly.

Thanks all, in hindsight maybe I was a little low on the budget. Would happily consider going up to £40?

RedMist":jsio2x8o said:
Thanks all, in hindsight maybe I was a little low on the budget. Would happily consider going up to £40?

Go for a Freud mate. Even if it's an extra tenner, it wont matter in the long run. They outperform and outlast virtually any cheap blade you can name and the quality of cut is superb.

Yes, buying quality blades is the way to go. Also look for people who sharpen them in your area.

Still trying to get this sorted thanks to all for their advice so far. I would like to buy a Freud blade as recommended by so many of you :)

I'm looking at this https://www.amazon.co.uk/FREUD-LP40M-01 ... B004QIDLI0 but it's size is listed as 216mm x 30mm , that's bigger than the 210 x 30 that's in my machines. Will this blade fit ok? How can I tell?

thanks!!!!

Back