Sort out your workshop the Japanese way

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I prefer the 5W method.

Where is it?
Where did I have it last?
What was I doing when I last saw it?
What can I use instead?
Will anyone notice?

Be nice if you'd explained what the 5S method was in your post. Keep it all 'onsite' kinda thing.

OK - lifted from the link above:

Sort
Remove unnecessary items and dispose of them properly.
Make work easier by eliminating obstacles.
Reduce chances of being disturbed with unnecessary items.
Prevent accumulation of unnecessary items.
Evaluate necessary items with regard to cost or other factors.
Remove all parts or tools that are not in use.
Segregate unwanted material from the workplace.
Need fully skilled supervisor for checking on regular basis.
Don't put unnecessary items at the workplace & define a red-tagged area to keep those unnecessary items.
Waste removal.

Set In Order
Arrange all necessary items so that they can be easily selected for use.
Prevent loss and waste of time by arranging work station in such a way that all tooling / equipment is in close proximity
Make it easy to find and pick up necessary items
Ensure first-in-first-out FIFO basis
Make workflow smooth and easy.
All of the above work should be done on regular basis.

Shine
Clean your workplace completely
Use cleaning as inspection
Prevent machinery and equipment deterioration
Keep workplace safe and easy to work
Keep workplace clean and pleasing to work in
When in place, anyone not familiar to the environment must be able to detect any problems within 50 feet in 5 secs.

Standardize
Standardize the best practices in the work area.
Maintain high standards in workplace organization at all times.
Maintain orderliness. Maintain everything in order and according to its standard.
Everything in its right place.
Every process has a standard.

Sustain
Not Harmful to anyone
Also translates as "do without being told".
Perform regular audits.
Training and discipline.
Training is goal-oriented process. Its resulting feedback is necessary monthly.

I have tried a bit of this, a few years ago I did a pilot project re-organising our spindle moulder area.

I do have some before and after shots, I'll see fi I can find them.

5S is a part of lean construction.

For anybody interested, I found this book is the easiest to help with shopfloor organisation in a practical way:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/5S-Operators-P ... 1563271230

Gave me a shudder seeing this. Transported me back to a previous lifetime as a supplier into Toyota.

Horrendous hoops to jump through as a supplier and I hated them with a passion, but that's why I drive a Toyota car!

It all makes sense to me!
I'm raking my saw dust into Japenese zen garden patterns. Just got to pull out the bits of old sandwich, crisp packets, nails, beer bottles etc

zen_garden6.jpg

5S.....
The very best way to totally pi.. off the work force!
Spoken from experience.
5S is nothing more than good housekeeping. (dressed up for managements ego)

Bod
Who wouldn't work for a firm with plans to use 5S.

Overly complicated way of job justification... "needs a supervisor" "needs an inspector" etc etc

/works for a Japansese company :lol:

I've implemented 5S, Hoshin, 6 sigma, Toyota manufacturing system and a lot of other systems into a number of factories over the years. What I've found is that common sense is the prevailing and underlying philosophy of all the systems. All are excellent, all make a massive improvements in productivity and quality but all require common sense....a rare and exceptional hard talent to find.

These are my quick questions to explain all the systems listed above. If the answer is obvious to each your an expert in all modern manufacturing systems. Rather a simplistic perspective I know, but then again I don't sell my sole as a consultant in it....

Why make it wrong and make it twice?
Why not move machines or processes closer together so you don't move it 100m rather than not moving it all?
Why not service and care for your machines and processes rather than wait for them to fail of become too stiff to operate and then fix them?
Why hide tools and things away or 'pop' them down when you can have a dedicated place where it's clear it should be?
Why wouldn't you keep spares or saw blades, drill bits, extra sand paper or alike so you don't run out half way through a job?
Why would you want a dirty messed workshop with stuff all over the floor just waiting to trip / cause an accident?
Why not make a jig to you can cut / sand / plane / or what ever correctly every time?
Why wouldn't you plan how you intend to make something?
Why wouldn't you listen to what your customer wants and make what they ask for rather than what you can / want to do quickest / cheapest?
Why would you expect your employees to do what you want them to do if you don't keep them informed and involved with how your business is developing and evolving?
Why would you expect a novice to be as capable as a time spent expert unless you train them?
Why send or do something for the customer you wouldn't accept yourself?

It all seems sound, Western common-sense to me; if you don't include the 'Zen' and Feng whotsit stuff! Just keep the place tidy, put your tools away after use, and clear up at the end of the day. Wish I could follow my own advice then! :mrgreen:

Benchwayze":2z69uyim said:
It all seems sound, Western common-sense to me; if you don't include the 'Zen' and Feng whotsit stuff! Just keep the place tidy, put your tools away after use, and clear up at the end of the day. Wish I could follow my own advice then! :mrgreen:

Because it originated from CANDO by Henry Ford

I fail, I accept it, I have NazNomad's 5W system. The worst part is knowing you've got it, knowing where you remember puttting it, NOT knowing if that was last month, last year or 10 years ago!

It's interesting, it's my understanding that most of the modern manufacturing techniques started out during the world wars and were developed both by the the USA and the U.K. Design of Experiments was first conceived by Fisher (UK) to improve crop yield, it was re-packaged by Taguchi and is thought by many to be a Japanese developed system. Crosby, Demmng, Juran and alike were all western who went to Japan to rebuild their economies to prevent them falling under the communist influence. The root of all the systems started from these beginnings. The Japanese took them to heart and really integrated them into their companies developing the systems further.

5S should really be, a Place for Everything and Everything in its Place. Or it's acrinamim (made it up) 'PEEP'

If you dig deep enough and far enough back in time, you'll find most commonly accepted "good practice" originated in the UK. We are quite simply the most inventive and improvement focused culture on earth. The one gene we seem to lack sometimes is the courage/foresight to back the good ideas we constantly come up with.
But 3rd party companies/Governments/countries have been nicking our good ideas for centuries and often taking them more seriously than we do ourselves.

andys wood shed":33gldmwy said:
Benchwayze":33gldmwy said:

Because it originated from CANDO by Henry Ford

Whether you believe you can do something, or you believe you can't do that thing, you'll be right? :wink:

Blimey chaps my other half has been saying all this to me for years !
Thats why 3 months ago she said can you leave me your workshop key and i will give it a good clean.
When i returned, their was a massive bonfire going.
That pile of broken furniture that needed major repairs, all the offcuts laying about the place, doors that
one day may be used, all gone up in smoke.
She found metal bins for all the useful off cuts, everything put in its place, all dust picked up etc, you get the picture.
The bonfire could of led to a massive argument but no i just bit my tongue and said how lovely it looked.
But really it needed doing and has made the workshop a better environment to work in.
Just need to keep it that way now !

Back