Clarke CWL12D - options....

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DavidJHolmes

Established Member
Reaction score
In my pursuit of getting a lathe I've been given the above to play with on loan. Work and what not keep getting in the way of getting to any clubs and I've not even managed to follow up on members offers to go round and play :(

Over joyed with a freebie I've gone straight to google and found its now discontinued and its accessories are to. The headstock spindle is 3/4" 16tpi so I thought I could get a chuck but a couple of posts from various sources suggest it's pretty tied to its own accessories?! Any thoughts? I can't see why if it's just a screw thread.

It's not a great lathe by all accounts (here and google searches) but I thought it might be good for a play. Although a few lathes I've looked at don't have the same head stock connection and don't feel like it's worth paying out twice for accessories even if the lathe was a free loan. Anybody have one and can disagree with it being useless?

Well, it probably won't be great. But 3/4 x 16 is a known tread and is used on record lathes (at least was until very recently).

If you wanted to play with minimal outlay, get a pair of centres, and a faceplate.

At least you will find out if you enjoy woodturning, and if so you could invest in a good quality lathe later on. Although your lathe is a 'cheapie', don't be tempted to buy cheap turning tools. Get some decent ones (Ashley Isles, Sorby, Crown etc). If you don't take to turning then these will always sell on, and if you buy second hand ones then when (if) you come to sell them you may lose very little or even get your money back. Similarly a chuck etc will sell on because it is a common thread, so again you may well be able to buy second hand and not lose out when selling.
Good quality tools are not cheap, but there are sites describing how to make your own (NOT from old files - not safe) so that could help to reduce outlay.

Your other expense will be some means of sharpening your tools, and there are many threads on this forum, and elsewhere on the web, that deal with equipment and techniques. Also if you do take to turning then you will want to upgrade your lathe

Good luck with your new hobby, but don't expect it to be cheap even if the lathe was free. ( Not being pessimistic here, just realistic - I think it's a great hobby).

K

I don't know the design or internal headstock details of the lathe but one thing that is usually indicated by smaller diameter threads is that the spindle and bearings may be smaller diameter and lighter weight.

For small work and light weight turning it may be fine but we are all tempted at some time to stick something on the front that reaches its maximum capability and then the robustness or lack of it will show, forcing the application of light cuts with really sharp tools if vibration and chattering are to be avoided.

There may be some advantages in this sort of limitation for a new turner in that learning to cope with such and improving tool control etc. can only be a long lasting skill that will lead to enhanced performance on a more rigid and smooth running machine.

If you buy a chuck ensure it is one that either has an ISO backplate such as the versa chuck or can take adapter inserts up to and including if possible the latest thread standard.

Then at a later date even if you get a lathe that can not be accommodated with a big enough insert the chuck will have a greater re-sale value the bigger the thread it can take.

I have 3/4"x16 on my CL4 and have different bits for it like a SK100 chuck from Axminster for example.

I started on a Sealey lathe I got for £50 - I bought the chuck first and then later on was very lucky that someone on here was selling a CL4 which had the same thread.

Also, I bought new centre for it - a 4 prong and it made LOADS of difference! I have since bought a 'steb' style drive centre and revolving centre which are totally awesome for spindle work.

Whatever you buy will help you improve, so is not wasted money - even if you DO have to sell it later on - it just means that you have to look after it and keep it clean in case you do sell it.

:D

Thanks guys. Next question then... 2" or 4" chuck? Record Power have a 2" chuck set which looks reasonable has a faceplate and other accessories. Am I right in thinking a larger chuck = larger work?

I think my order list is almost complete! :)

I wouldn't go for a 2" chuck - it's too restrictive. You will soon be wanting something bigger.

A 3" chuck would be better than a 2" but they only seem to be available with a 1"x8 thread + a 3/4"x16 adaptor.

With a 4" chuck, not only can you hold larger work, but they are available to fit nearly any lathe. Plus, as Chas said, if you pick the Versachuck from The Toolpost, or a chuck that has threaded inserts, if at a later stage you upgrade your lathe, then you only have to purchase the relevant backplate/insert for your chuck to fit.

I posted a summary of woodturning chucks back in Jan 2014
- - woodturning-chucks-some-info-for-those-new-to-the-hobby-t76139.html

Back