New boiler opinions..

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

stewart

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi all - we're looking at replacing at ageing Potterton boiler and have had a quote from British Gas for a Worcester-Bosch boiler and one is due from a plumber we've used before who recommends an Ariston boiler. I've done some research and the WB seems to have a very good reputation. Any heating engineers or plumbers here with views they are happy to share?

No Engineer or plumber but we have a WB Boiler which was installed last year and it is fantastic. We did some research and purchased it at trade price then I just got a proper guy to fit as that was a lot cheaper option. He said that we made an excellent choice and is a very good boiler so was pleased he confirmed basically what we had heard and read about them.

good luck.

I'd second the WB being a great boiler - 7 year warranty and they will honour that - in fact we were 1 month over when the fan failed. Expensive part replaced for free, including labour. And they bunged in a service at the same time.

I would also agree that it's much cheaper getting a WB authorised independent to fit - BG are super pricey in my experience.

I've had an oil-fired Worcester-Bosch since 2002 and it's the biggest PILE OF CARP ever. Maybe I just got a Friday afternoon built one?

+1 for the Intergas. Had one installed early last year at my plumber/ heating engineer mates recommendation and it's been great. Although not very well known in the UK, they are one of, if not the , leading brands in Europe.

We were told that Grant was a really good make so we bought one (oil). It has been in for just over a year and no issues, but we wouldn't expect any with a newish boiler. Can't compare with WB because we have never had one. We did have an Ariston gas boiler about 14 years ago, and the gas valve needed replacing after just over 1 year, out of guarantee of course. My daughter had a Buderus, and that needed completely replacing after about 7 years. Plumber reckoned it was rubbish, one of the poorest quality he'd seen, and advised not to throw good money after bad by repairing it.

K

I diy fitted a WB gas system boiler a couple of years back and paid a gas safe engineer to connect the gas and commission it (£80)

it has been excellent and absolutely no trouble at all.

Forgot to say, oil boiler cost us about £1200 inc balanced flue. I drained the system myself and got everything ready for the plumber. Cost me about £200 to have everything connected up, checked, commissioned etc.

K

Thanks for the comments and links. They've been helpful. Local plumbers cost is slightly over half of the British Gas one...and it's for a more powerful boiler....but now my wife is talking about having solar panels as well...

I always fit W/Bosch boilers to my rental properties - they are better than most But when a repair is needed I find their after service is the best - the W/Bosch fitter and van turn up loaded with parts for W/Bosch, any used are logged/emailed to their service bay and during the evening/night the Bosch gremlins re-stock the van ready for the next day. I can only speak in high regards for their service record when I need them I just want the boiler repaired quickly to keep the tenant happy. Cost wise never use Heatlink or B.Gas far to expensive and then you are on their "Sucker list" of service reminders insurance loans etc etc.

Just my opinion formed over the years of being a property landlord sorry if I've offended anyone.

I have a Worcester combi boiler that is now in its 26th year. It needed a new gas valve solenoid, which I fitted myself, after about 5 years and a new circuit board 2 years ago but all OK otherwise.

If you're on gas, then go Worcester, Vaillant, or Viessman.

If on oil, Grant are hard to beat. (last year I swapped out my old Worcester Danesmoor system boiler (c 18 yo) for a new Grant).

HTH

Andrew

Back