Blanks with bark for pyrography

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RichardAustin

Reaction score
Hi
I've only just started woodturning along with my daughter. She is looking to get some blanks, with the bark attached, suitable for pyrography. Ideally she'd like to buy a pack of them. The ideal would be the type of thing you see on people's houses with the number or a name. I've had a look for some but, to be honest, I'm new to this and don't really know where to look. Can anybody offer any suggestions?

Thanks for taking the time to read
Richard

Hi welcome,
Try looking for log slices. You may have to be prepared to plane or sand them to get a surface suitable for pyrography.

Hope this helps,
Regards,
Dave.

ardenwoodcraft":30c22s24 said:
Hi welcome,
Try looking for log slices. You may have to be prepared to plane or sand them to get a surface suitable for pyrography.

Hope this helps,
Regards,
Dave.

Thanks Dave
Planing and sanding isn't a problem as we've joined Birstall Woodturning Club and have access to all the tools.

Richard

Not really something to produce on the lathe, apart from being able to clean the face up, but being not round thats not something to be attempted by a complete newbie as you'll be turning fresh air and edges.

Think garlic bread!
Slice it at 90 degrees and you get round slices. A lesser or greater angle gives you elongated ovals. So you need to find (dry?) logs of the diameter of the height of your desired blank and then slice at an angle to achieve your desired length. Then sand and finish.

nev":37dex183 said:
Not really something to produce on the lathe, apart from being able to clean the face up, but being not round thats not something to be attempted by a complete newbie as you'll be turning fresh air and edges.

Think garlic bread!
Slice it at 90 degrees and you get round slices. A lesser or greater angle gives you elongated ovals. So you need to find (dry?) logs of the diameter of the height of your desired blank and then slice at an angle to achieve your desired length. Then sand and finish.

She's not looking to do anything with them on the lathe; it's just for pyrography. She got the bug from joining the wood turning club, I bought her a pyrography kit and now she wants to play with it. Thanks for the advice on slicing and sanding.
Richard

I found a lot of stuff by looking on Google for "log slices". It never occured to me to look for that specific term; just another thing that illustrates I have a lot to learn! Good forum by the way.

RichardAustin":1e6th5lt said:
I found a lot of stuff by looking on Google for "log slices". It never occured to me to look for that specific term; just another thing that illustrates I have a lot to learn! Good forum by the way.

Get friendly with a local tree surgeon! :)

YorkshireMartin":1mknk674 said:
RichardAustin":1mknk674 said:

Get friendly with a local tree surgeon! :)

Darn good idea! I had thought about it in passing but it is actually a really good idea. The Club I joined have a wood store so I can put stuff in there I don't have room for. Thanks for the suggestion.

Back