what chisels

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

karlpolly10

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi i don`t know if i am in the right place for this question but here goes. I am looking for some advice ob turning chisels, i want to buy a young friend a set of chisels, he is learning wood turning at school and has a lathe at home but can`t afford the chisels yet so i thought i would look into getting him some, prob is i know nothing about wood turning chisels and what to look for, can anyone give me some much needed advice. regards Karl.

Hi, thanks for the advice, but what i really wanted to know was which type of chisels should i be looking at, ie skew ,gouges???. i appreciate some who go for the top end but i don`t have that standard of bevel edged chisels myself. so i am afraid it will have to be used or cheaper end of the scale. regards Karl.

See which gouges are included in the any above starter sets and shop for them individually. Beware of the nasty and in some cases downright dangerous cheap tools found on auction sites. If buying used, profiles of the cutting edges may have been changed and not necessarily for the better, so be prepared to check this before attempting to use them.
Axminster, Record Power and offerings from the likes of Rutlands, Turners Retreat or any established woodturning tool shop would be a safe entry level tool.

Point taken on buying good quality tools from the saftey point of view, i will take every ones advice and look at the above mentioned makers and supplyers. regards Karl

3/8" spindle, 1/4" or 3/8" bowl gouge. a 1" or maybe 3/4" skew (oval is nice but not essential), a 3/4" or 1" spindle roughing gouge and a parting tool to start. Good sets will cover this range will give you tools that will always be useful no matter how advanced the turner or how large the lathe. Better to have a few top class tools than dozens of rubbish ones.

many thanks for all the advice, i think i will look at the record power ones and also some narex ones, i have a set of narex bevel edge chisels and am happy with the quality of them. regards Karl.

Back