Latest Project - Deer from latest issue of SWWC

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

linkshouse

Established Member
Reaction score
This is my latest effort.

A Deer Intarsia from the latest issue of Scrollsaw Woodworking and Crafts.

deer.jpg

I did have a minor panic moment when I started to apply sanding sealer.

I had used wood dye to dye the black parts and it never occurred to me that the sanding sealer would dissolve/spread the dye. So, I was brushing away a tad gung ho with my sanding sealer only to spread black dye all over the adjacent parts!

Not a happy bunny, but a bit of careful sanding rescued it.

I'm not happy as I can still see slight evidence of the stain, but no-one else sees it till I mention it.

Regards

Phill

Attachments

• deer.jpg
    deer.jpg
    51.1 KB · Views: 1,157
That's a fine creation to be pleased with, good rescue from what must have been a real downer experience, if the average viewer does not perceive the blemish then job done.

Think using a spray can version of sealer in future would be safer and reduce the colour run contamination risk.

CHJ":20ypzezs said:
Think using a spray can version of sealer in future would be safer and reduce the colour run contamination risk.

That was my immediate thought. I'm just not a big spray can fan. I never seem to be able to judge them right and end up with runs everywhere.

Maybe I need more practice - :D

That said, the other problem I have is getting aerosols posted to Orkney.

Regards

Phill

phil.p":28xpzx49 said:
Could you not colour the dark bits while they are still parts and seal them before assembly?

Yes, that would be a good solution, and answers my poor ability with spray application :roll:

I just never realised that the stain would run as I've never used it before.

It's a lesson learned so one way or another I should be able to avoid it in the future.

Regards

Phill

I used black Chestnut dye/stain from their sample pack and Liberon sanding sealer.

It was my own fault. It just never occurred to me that the stain would run and, as the sealer is not a final finish, I went at it like a bull at a gate.

Thanks for the tip about cellulose over acrylic.

Mentioning cellulose leads me onto my choice of sealer etc...

I struggle ordering most spirit or aerosol items as many suppliers won't ship to the islands (to be fair they are usually classed as dangerous goods).

I bought the stains whilst on a trip down to Inverness and just got lucky with the Liberon on eBay (some of the suppliers on eBay don't know about transport of dangerous goods regulations :) :) ).

On to Intarsia, yes I'm loving it. Of course it never quite lives up to my own standards as I see the mistakes that fortunately other people don't see (like the dirty nose).

The only problem that I foresee is that I don't like selling my work but eventually one runs out of places to put it (I have no end of paintings stashed round the house!).

Phill

@linkshouse:

Lovely deer, well done. If you hadn't mentioned the problem I certainly wouldn't have noticed it.

=D>

AES

I'll try some Acrylic sealer over the spirit stains, I know from experience that spirit stains are miscible in water, at least the dye works, presumably after the spirit evaporates off.
Don't know how permanent the dye is after the spirit has evaporated and if it is still miscible in the water base of acrylic.

Latest posts

Back