Mother of all planes

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JonnyW

Established Member
Reaction score
I visited a agricultural mill museum here in Shetland last week, and came to a cooper's tools of the trade display.

What really interested me was the cooper's jointer plane. You've probably all seen such a tool, but it was a new one for me.

A massive metre 'odd' long beast that lay stationary blade up on a stand, that the coopers then ran the staves - or wood that made up the side sections - over.

I think in this instance the modern stand has been constructed for the display is a little low as can be seen from the old photo - pinched from an excellent blog/article on the subject by Derek in Perth. http://www.inthewoodshop.com/ShopMadeTools/CoopersJointer.html.

Very interesting, however I can't see it fitting into my apron pocket :D

Jonny

Attachments

• CoopersJointer_html_1474af82[1].jpg
    CoopersJointer_html_1474af82[1].jpg
    56 KB · Views: 1,884
  • IMG_5612.JPG
    IMG_5612.JPG
    48.9 KB · Views: 1,884
A modern trick that achieves the same thing is to clamp a plane upside down in a bench vice. It can be quite handy for planing small or thin stuff ;)

Thanks DTR. I've seen the plane in the vice trick right enough (in a photo). I think it looked like a No. 8 that was being used.

That's an amazing thread Andy and a girder of a plane!

Jonny

I had to read what you wrote before I could see the thing. He's a whopper! Was this at Quendale by any chance?

Nelsun":8qv7yssw said:
I had to read what you wrote before I could see the thing. He's a whopper! Was this at Quendale by any chance?

Correct - well done.

A fantastic museum and a must see.

Jonny

It's been most likely a decade since I was in there last, but I'm on the beach with the horrors often enough so it'll be time for a visit me thinks.

I didn't see it myself,but I was reliably informed that there was a boatbuilder in one of the local yards who had such a plane and had modified it by removing the legs and fitting a conventional closed handle.My informant had seen it in use back in the seventies.

Those coopers were massively skilful craftsmen. I'm no expert, but my understanding is they're not using that massive plane to make the workpiece true, they're actually using it to shape a stave by eye with the perfect bevel to render the barrel water tight. I guess some boatbuilders will execute a similar level of skill when planking up.

You've just got to take your hat off to craftsmen like that. When I read some journalists in the woodworking magazines gushing and simpering over some dead simple Shaker style cabinet that's just straight lines and right angles, I think about old boys like that cooper, achieving engineering levels of precision with a few crude hand tools, and wonder if they're spinning in their graves!

^^ Agreed. Not only did they do that shaping by eye, they worked largely without measurements. Yet they made barrels to standard sizes, with a high degree of accuracy. Quite a lot of shaping was done on the block, with an axe - this was piece work and speed mattered too.

If anyone wants to know more, I recommend a book by Ken Kilby, The Cooper and his Trade. Kilby was a working cooper, like his father and grandfather. He describes how barrels were made, the tools used, and the importance of the cooper in history. He also wrote a Shire album on coopering if anyone wants a briefer summary.

file.php

I do love to see shavings and sawdust. All these new 'YouTube workshops' with clinical cleanliness, not a speck of a shaving anywhere, I wonder if these people ever really make anything except videos?

NazNomad":2sbm1ul7 said:
I do love to see shavings and sawdust. All these new 'YouTube workshops' with clinical cleanliness, not a speck of a shaving anywhere, I wonder if these people ever really make anything except videos?

I suspect it's a bit like having visitors round - you tidy up beforehand.

BugBear

For those that did not look at the link to my website, this is the cooper's jointer I made: 36" long and 3" wide Berg blade. This is the plane alongside a Stanley #7 ...

CoopersJointer_html_m36d2149a.jpg

I built it so it could be used like a traditional jointer on edges ..

CoopersJointer_html_m4ffb44f4.jpg

.. and the reversed to work as a traditional cooper's jointer ...

CoopersJointer_html_6c10fae1.jpg

The great part was adding a fence that enabled it to be a non-powered jointer ..

CoopersJointer_html_m80db958.jpg

Regards from Perth

Derek

Strangely, I was on chatting online with a mate the other evening, he's a Croatian knifemaker settled in Italy. By the wonders of the Internet and a shared love of tools n stuff, we've never met in person but I regard him as a good friend. Anyway... funny enough he posted a pic or two of a very similar tool, his Father's if i recall correctly. I'll have a chat with him later and get his permission to post the pics. Might interest some of you.
Like buses. Wait a lifetime then two turn up at once!

Back