Happy weekend but sadly ART IN ACTION is no more.....

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

toolsntat

Yep, I collect tools and tat
Reaction score
Not being into art I had let this event pass me by over the years even though one of my friends said it was great.
BIG mistake .
As it was to be the last year of the event after 40 years of running we decided to attend on the Saturday.
All I can say is that in reality this show was truly inspirational and hard to accept we will not be able to go again.
All the artists were ready and willing to interact with the public and the event organization was impeccable.
Never underestimate ART #-o

Andy

We've been several times and it really is inspirational.
Being the last one ever, it was understandably busy but almost too busy.
I managed to get to the woodworking just after opening on Thursday so had the opportunity to talk to (and probably bore) several exhibitors who were more than happy to explain their techniques, tools and where they sourced their timber and veneer from.
But the woodwork was only a small part and the whole glass, ceramics, metalwork, printworks, drawing, painting etc is a real eye opener when you are lead to believe we are falling behind in art as a whole.
My step sister was a volunteer at the event (4 days unpaid and no expenses for overnight stays) and said people come from as far as Australia to volunteer. Scandinavians seem to make up the majority of overseas volunteers but the whole organisation is brilliant - and for £12.80 (60+) is amazing. They even had dog watering attendants. So dog bowls and water by all the catering facilities but also mobile attendants who approached you (we have a lab) with water and a bowl. Maybe over the top but it made us smile and the dog (Smithy) took advantage of the offer.

Also one important thing that really moved me was the amount of take up by the younger generations for tutorials in all manner of subjects (hammer) =D>
One could not deny that those children were having experiences with potential to shape their lives that is greatly lacking in today's schools.
Let's hope [-o<

Andy

That's sad - I haven't been for a few years but really enjoyed it when I did.
Robert Ingham used to attend, displaying his box work - I nearly bought one, which was probably a mistake, but £160 for a tiny one was a bit steep for me.
Any reason for the closure - it always seemed to be well attended?

Rod

Yes lots of youngsters there, including a full school trip (uniforms and all).
There are some great pictures on Instagram of Phil Irons helping a 13 year lad (Owen who had to stand on a tool box to reach) hollowing out a huge vessel.
Robert Ingham was there again and always willing to share his techniques and where he sources some of his tools from.
I believe the event is stopping because of the huge organisation & logistics problems. Evidently setting up each event is of the order of £1m+ and usually starts immediately after the previous on ends. The organisers are primarily the same people every year and like the rest of us aren't getting any younger and there doesn't seem to be enough eager and qualified people to take over.
I'm told the event normally just about breaks even but given the huge number of people there on Thursday, there could be a profit this year and then who knows?

I was there on Sunday, and much saddened by its rumoured demise. I first went about 15 years ago, and it was that visit that got me started on the woodworking journey. I believe it was Andrew Crawford's boxes that did it but, like Glynne, I've always been inspired by the other exhibitors, especially the printmakers and woodcut artists. We bought several paintings, prints and ceramic pieces over the years.

The story we got was that the guy who founded the event and was the prime mover for 40 years died last year and no-one has yet stepped forward to take the reins. But several of the volunteers we spoke to were hopeful that someone might yet take it on. Let's hope...

Back