Festool vs Bosch Sander

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Marineboy

Established Member
Reaction score
I'd appreciate any help or advice from people that have used the Festool ETS EC 150/5 and/or the Bosch GEX 125-150. The latter is about half the price of the former and I'm wondering whether the Festool is twice as good. I have a CTL Midi for dust extraction.

I don't do a lot of sanding but want the tool to do jobs such as removing the top layer from a walnut kitchen worktop to refinish; preparing paintwork eg doors and skirting for repainting; occasionally stripping paint from doors etc. Looking at the Bosch it has the rotary function which I don't think the Festool has which would give it the additional function as a polisher and (I'm guessing) more aggressive sanding.

Any views very welcome. Thanks in advance.

Marineboy":25iko7eu said:
I'd appreciate any help or advice from people that have used the Festool ETS EC 150/5 and/or the Bosch GEX 125-150. The latter is about half the price of the former and I'm wondering whether the Festool is twice as good. I have a CTL Midi for dust extraction.

I am normally a Festool fan but I bought the Bosch on account of its much lower vibration figure (2.5m/s2 vs 4.8 for the Festool).
As I have the beginnings of a carpal tunnel problem in my wrists this was a major consideration for me.
I modified the Bosch with a Festool plug-it tail to make it more convenient to use with my CTL: https://www.ukworkshop.co.uk/forums/post989157.html#p989157

Thanks pcb1962, useful info, and about the plug it tail. How easy is it to use vertically, say on a wall? I'm conscious of the fact that it's about twice the weight of the Festool.

you probably want to look at the festool rotex sanders as they have the aggressive sanding mode I think you're looking for

Hi Adam, thanks for that, but I have looked at the Rotex and it is v expensive for the occasional use that I will be putting it to; it is very heavy; and tbh I don't need something quite as aggressive

Marineboy":21bz0n3p said:
How easy is it to use vertically, say on a wall? I'm conscious of the fact that it's about twice the weight of the Festool.
No problem at all for an hour or two. If you're sanding walls all day you probably want a Mirka.

I had the Bosch PEX 125 (I think that's the right model) and recently bought the Rotex 125. It is a world of difference. I'd suggest trying both.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

pcb1962":3i6ww703 said:
Marineboy":3i6ww703 said:
How easy is it to use vertically, say on a wall? I'm conscious of the fact that it's about twice the weight of the Festool.
No problem at all for an hour or two. If you're sanding walls all day you probably want a Mirka.
The ETS EC 150/5 is extremely light, very comfortable and be aware there are alleged high fail rates with the Mirka sanders.

It removes material very nicely if you chuck a low enough grit on it. I use Abranet HD 60 and it destroys whatever it put in its path.

I am also an ex-Rotex 150 owner, too bulky for every day use IMO, perhaps the same could be said of the Bosch?

I have the Festool Rotex 150 and use it the majority of the time on horizontal surfaces. On the odd occasion, I have had to use it vertically but I certainly wouldn't want to spend hour after hour using it like that.

I got to use the Festool ETS EC 150/3 a short while back whilst on a 3 day course and it is definitely going to be my next sander purchase. It's powerful enough for all the jobs I'm going to put it through but it's also really comfortable to use both vertically and horizontally for extended periods of time.

Also, don't forget you can buy it and try it for up to 15 days, and if you find its not suitable for your needs, take it back for a full refund.

Tim.

Many thanks for your input, I think I am swaying towards the Festool, the weight is the deal breaker, and I am reassured by the comments re it's ability to remove stock with the right grit. Everyone's comments are much appreciated.

I gave in and bought a Rotex 150 and regret not doing so sooner. Yes it cost a fair bit more than the (several) other models I tried but what price the time and money wasted in the process? I've subsequently added a Rotex90 for smaller areas and the Delta facility and sanding is no longer the dreaded chore it used to be!

Lonsdale73":3hr0usk5 said:
I gave in and bought a Rotex 150 and regret not doing so sooner...
I was going to say that I've never known anyone buy a Festool and regretted it, but I guess that's the one regret you may have, lol!

@Marineboy. I have the older, (non-EC) ETS 150/5 and it's my main go-to sander for most things, and will do most things admirably. In case you're not aware, as well as being lighter the new EC versions have brushless motors, with all the benefits that brings. BTW, just checking the specs on that Bosch and I think t's the "GEX 150 Turbo Professional' that has the Rotex-alike powered RO function - the 'GEX 125-150 AVE' looks like a regular ROS??

If you can live with the older styling and slightly heavier weight, the ETS 150/5 is still available new, for not much more £ than the Bosch - great machine.

HTH Pete

Peter - yes I was looking at the older model that you have but you know what it's like when you just must have the latest model, despite the extra cost. And the lower profile and brushless motor undoubtedly are improvements. I didn't realise the difference between the Bosch models. Thanks for pointing that out.

I have the dual mode 150 Bosch.

I've only used it on a couple of jobs so far so can't give my verdict yet, I can imagine the rotex dust extraction is better as the Bosch backing pad only has 6 holes near the centre of the pad - I haven't yet checked to see if they do any others or I can modify a standard Bosch one with more holes to suit fessy sanding disks.
The extraction pipe on the sander doesn't push in/on the festool 27mm hose - that's really ******* annoying.
The extra handle on the Bosch is side mount like an angle grinder, I believe the rotex is on the front/nose of the machine (?).

That's it for now.. I expect to be using it a fair bit in the next two weeks and I'll update if that's not too late to be helpful? I'm currently 50/50 on if I should of brought the Festool, main reason for the Bosch purchase was price (280 odd) versus the rotex AND I'm after spending serious dosh on a domino...

The ETS isn't really designed for the tasks you have in mind, it's a finish sander. For your needs you'd be better off with a Rotex 125/150. Can't decide on what the Bosch is supposed to do.

I will say this, if you do buy a Rotex and learn the tricks to using it, you wouldn't regret it. I have a 125 which I absolutely love. I had an ETS on trial and found it too fine for my current needs, but I'll definitely get one to use after the Rotex has done its work, once I'm ready for that stage of finish.

YorkshireMartin":1r4jt08w said:
The ETS isn't really designed for the tasks you have in mind, it's a finish sander. For your needs you'd be better off with a Rotex 125/150. Can't decide on what the Bosch is supposed to do.

I will say this, if you do buy a Rotex and learn the tricks to using it, you wouldn't regret it. I have a 125 which I absolutely love. I had an ETS on trial and found it too fine for my current needs, but I'll definitely get one to use after the Rotex has done its work, once I'm ready for that stage of finish.
Abranet HD on an ETS isn't far off the Rotex 150 I had before, as I've said before in this thread.

Wuffles":1v6nfhsn said:
YorkshireMartin":1v6nfhsn said:

Abranet HD on an ETS isn't far off the Rotex 150 I had before, as I've said before in this thread.

Interesting, never heard of an ETS being used in that way.

YorkshireMartin":yfr5oyil said:
Wuffles":yfr5oyil said:
YorkshireMartin":yfr5oyil said:

Interesting, never heard of an ETS being used in that way.
Abranet HD is vicious mind :)

Back